Walking with Philippe and the 20/2.8D

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Nancy and I had lunch with Phippe Roger and his wife, Julene, today. I wanted to discuss the wedding shoot/gallery Philippe and I conspired on, and in a big coincidence, Nancy and Julene realized they used to work together back in 1997, so it turned into a mini reunion for them! I took a snapshot for them to share with their old workmates.

As usual, I was delighted by the images from this little gem of a lens. Philippe isn't used to street photography, and was interested in how I get strangers to pose for me. Here's a few shots from the restaurant.

They all laughed at me for taking my camera everywhere, so after I visited the restroom, I presented them with a picture of it.

My best shot was this little gamin at the coffee shop.

It was a beautiful day in Los Gatos, and I'm glad I had my walkaround lens with me.

2. really nice colorful shots Frank. My question is though iof one has a 17-55mm 2.8 is it worth it getting a 20mm 2.8?

3. well, i'm not him, but I will say this...the 20/2.8 is a very nice lens and it definitely is a good deal.....less conspicuous than the 17-55 DX or 28-70 or 17-35. Having seen each in person, I'd have to say that if you don't want to be beaten up by the first hollywood actor you see, after being mistaken for a paparazzo, a 20mm might be worth considering :)
    It focuses closer, has a smaller diameter, 2" shorter that 17-55 without its hood (with the hood the difference is much greater I believe), and weighs about 1/3 of what the 17-55 does.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Good story, good pics, esp the toddler

I'm beginning to see a big advantage of prime lenses, with weight savings over a zoom being the primary plus. Besides, "foot zooming" is healthy....long as you don't trip ove something in the process! :lol:

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hey nice stuff Frank - I'd say you and that 20 are getting on quite well.

Curious - when you take a photo of a stranger's child, how do you approach them? I've shot first, then gone to the parent's and shown them the photo on the back of my camera, asking if they'd like a 4X6 print. They go for that idea, and I've given away a few prints (with my card attached) that way.

7. No, I don't believe so. I bought the 20mm/2.8 to complement the focal length range of my 28-70/2.8. If I owned the 17-55, I would have gone the other direction, and complemented it with an 85/1.4 or 1.8.

8. I don't think "shoot first, ask later" is a good strategy in today's suspicious world. I make it a point to get approval first. In this case, the dad was watching his daughter run up and down the ramped walkway to another room in the restaurant. I stopped, smiled, and commented that she was pretty athletic for a toddler... which established communication. After watching for another 15 seconds, I unslung the camera, looked at the dad, raised the camera a few inches to bring it to his attention, and tilted my head back slightly... which was clear non-verbal communication for "can I take a picture". He nodded his head and at that point, I was authorized to kneel down and take a few shots. I'm not going to offer the image for sale, so there was no need for a model's release.

9. Nice photos Frank. I'd say that lens is a keeper.

10. Hi Frank:
    No question.... this is the killer of the lots....
    Well done

11. Thanks, Scott. I've got more use from it than I had anticipated. It's a very nice little lens.

12. Thanks, Doug. It's neat to grab a good shot when you're just hacking around.

13. I got a belly laugh out of you urinal shot Frank. Also, the little gamin is adorable.

14. I had problems with that shot, Gordon. I didn't have time to find the best perspective, as I was afraid someone might walk in and question why I was kneeling in front of the urinal :oops: :roll: 8).

15. Catching you kneeling in front of the urinal would sure win as POTD. :lol: :lol:

16. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Uncle Frank, I was so impressed with your 20mm D shots that I bought one off E Bay and got a bargain. Now, I must learn to use it even half as well as you did.

17. Thanks, Don. I'm highly flattered. Hope the lens works out for you!