Wandering in the woods with Emilie (many photos)

Discussion in 'People' started by BostonRott, May 22, 2007.

1. Emilie and I went over to a local state forest today, in hopes that the Lady Slippers might be out. We were in luck, we saw ONE! :smile: This also gave me a chance to try out the 18-70mm, and I'm happy with the results. Certainly not as nice as the 28-70, but definitely passable. :smile:

These were late afternoon, around 4:30p, so the light was lacking in places, leading to Emilie blur. :tongue:

We took off on the trail and Emilie quickly decided that she wanted her own bag to carry. I had the camera sling-pack (Lowepro), and gave her the fanny pack (which contains the compass and car keys! :eek:).

Much of this section of Massachusetts was quarried for granite several hundred years ago. Often while hiking, you'll find a big hole in the ground, surrounded by "boulders." If you examine them more closely, you'll see that many are cut, and some also have grooves as marks of process.

View attachment 97095

Here is the one Pink Lady Slipper that we found. The park does continue across the street, and I know there were quite a few over there last year. I'll be back in a few days to check it out and see if more are out.

View attachment 97096

Certainly, it is not possible to pass by water without tossing in a few pebbles! :smile:

View attachment 97097

Finally, Emilie will demonstrate several different methods of traversing trails.

#1 The Slide
    View attachment 97098

#2 Walking backwards (I have no idea WHAT possesses her to do this, but it happens at least once each hike!)
    View attachment 97099

#3 The full run and yell
    View attachment 97100

2. tomj

tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Looks like it was a real fun outing. Looks like Emilie enjoys nature like my daughter does.

Thanks for sharing a piece of your day and these nice shots.

Regards,

3. Thanks Tom!

Yes, she really enjoys the trails. I've been taking her out successively in the "front pouch," the framed backpack and now she hikes on her own. If we go out for a 2+hr hike, I still wear the backpack and when she gets tired, put her right in. :smile:

4. Wonderful series Gretchen. These are the kind of good times both of you will remember for a long time.

5. Thank you Frits. :smile:

She definitely is far more interested in the outdoors than in TV (snore), and with that, I'm very happy!! :biggrin:

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Looks like alot of fun
    Love that Lady Slipper

I used to hunt through the woods for them when I was a kid

7. Great pictures and I love the little story board like montage of Emilie, very nicely done and entertaining! :biggrin:

8. What a cute little daughter you have Gretchen. Loved seeing your fun day together.

9. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Awwww, I always enjoy seeing photos of Miss Em! It's great that she loves the outdoors! Our kids love it too.....maybe after I have the baby I'll find a trail I can go on with them!

Keep the pics coming....they always make me smile!

10. We did too, but we picked them! :eek: Didn't know what "endangered" meant as a kid (sigh!).

I hope to get back over there on Friday and see if I can't find more of them! :smile:

11. I love these, Gret! She is sprouting like a weed, but I guess that happens when you feed them! :biggrin: What a terrific series. I'm more of a "run down the hill and yell" type of hiker too, that way the piercing screams when I fall aren't quite as noticeable!! LOL

12. Sharon

Sharon

Feb 18, 2006
    There's nothing like seeing the curiosity and joy of life through the eyes of a child. I just love it when you post these kind of images of Emilie. It is so much fun to see things through her vision. She is such a little doll. Thanks for sharing such a great series of images!

13. Thanks Dude! :smile: That was my first attempt at a "collage" in Elements, I think it's a skill I'll pursue......fun way to put things together! :smile:

Thank you Gordon! :smile: I very much enjoy our time together!!!

Those snugli carriers are great for early trail walking! :smile: I'm sure you guys will have a blast getting out, just be sure to remember the camera. :smile:

14. hahahahaa.....me too! I can still hear my father's voice "I don't want to hear you from around the corner!" :tongue:

Thank you Sharon, you are very kind. I do feel like I'm re-learning to see the world again through her eyes. :smile:

15. Enjoyed the shots of your daughter, Gretchen. She's a doll.

Also enjoyed the pink lady's slipper - you did a really nice job on that. Keep your eyes peeled for yellow ones, as they are quite rare. However, we have seen more yellow ones this year than ever before. I'm marking them with my GPS so we can look for them next year.
    -------------------

p.s. One of my shots of a yellow lady's slipper was published in the Roanoke Times - New River Current section today.

16. What fun you and Emilie had on your hike! :smile: She looks like she is a real corker! Very nice photos of your adventures!

17. Thank you Jim! :smile: Until I read your post awhile back, I never even knew that yellow ones existed. Marking with GPS is a very neat idea (hmmmm......I may need a GPS for hiking :biggrin:).

She definitely keeps me busy Connie! :smile: Tomorrow, she's going to be my "cover" for some street photo work down in Providence. :tongue:

18. Looks like you had a great time!!! I love being in the woods. It is the best place for a child and parent a like. Your imagination can soar in there. Just one question What were you thinking letting her have the keys?

Sarah

19. Hahaha.........your assumption is the problem! I wasn't *thinking*!! :biggrin:

About half-way through, I snagged the keys (without her noticing) and stuck them in my camera bag. We got back to the car and she's madly tearing through the fanny pack "keys!" "keys!" HAHAHAAA! :tongue:

20. From PA's wife, Beth

Hi Gretchen,
    I love sharing your hike with Emilie and seeing the pink Lady's Slipper. Did you find them here around Blacksburg too? Hope Emilie didn't drop your car keys! Good wishes, Beth