Wanna buy a watch? (60mm micro pic)

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Uncle Frank, Jul 29, 2005.

1. I thought it was going to be easy. I've got the 60mm micro, a light tent, light stands, and flood lights. But taking pictures of jewelery is tougher than I imagined. All the reflective surfaces and the angle of the lighting have to be taken into consideration.

After an intense 45 mnutes, I got this. What am I bid ;) ?

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Light looks nice. Have you tried placing a polarizer in front of the light source?

4. 08:50 would have worked well.

Its a nice shot, like Paul mentioned a bit more DOF would have helped. Composition wise I'd have put the face in the top left and had the bracelet "lead" up to it - personal prefference.

The level of lighting is great - that tent works a treat in keeping it nice and even. Looks like you're using one light source - bottom right - I like the way the bracelet almost dissapears immediately after the bezel.

I'm prepared to up the bid, say $17.50 (£10.00) - but then my wife has just bought me a new watch for my birthday. Yes I know I have two wrists...! When my camera returns from the repair shot, I'll have to post a picture of it to prove how darned difficult it is to take jewellery and then you can dump on me :)

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Frank,

I've just started doing some close-up shooting, and I agree that it is not as easy as it looks. I haven't even started looking into lighting techniques. Just trying to get the blasted things in focus.

Nice watch BTW, but where are the numbers telling the time, and what are those pointer things? :lol:

6. Nice job Uncle Frank. Many, many moon's ago I did a lot of product photography with a 4x5 view camera. Most people don't realize how long it takes to setup a shot like yours. Back in the day I used a Polaroid back and burned a lot of Polaroid film to get the shot setup. I like the richness in the colors of your shot.

7. Thanks for taking the time to look over this maiden effort with jewelery. In repsonse to some of your questions and comments...

I used a 2 light setup, and played with different positions to reduce glare on the watch face. It was much more complicated than I had imagined. Before I try shooting a glass object again, I'll buy an adapter so I can use my 77mm circular polarizer on the 60mm, which takes 62mm filters... or I might use the 28-70/2.8, which takes the 77mm filter and does pretty well at closeups.

Since this wasn't an actual product shot, I didn't have to worry about meeting the commercial requirements of an Art Director. I could have used a tight aperture to get the entire watch/bracelet in sharp focus, but the bracelet is repetitious, so I was only concerned about the watch face and a few links. I tried to get artsy, so I selected an aperture that let the other links slide out of focus to represent time drifting away.

Thanks for reminding me to pay attention to the position of the watch hands. 10:10 will be a very useful number to remember. In fact, someone informed me that all Seiko ads feature the hands at 10:08:42. I'll keep any eye out for that in magazine ads and see if it's accurate.