Wanna see my new kayak???

Discussion in 'Birds' started by TOLady, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Yes, I was amazed to see the reflection in his eye when this pic came up on the screen. I just love this new camera and especially this 70-200VR lens!!
    original.

and here's the 100% crop, you can even see the sunlight reflection on the kayak and the trees in the background!!! amazing....
    original.

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Sandi,
    Way cool shot! I can't say I've ever Kayaked (sp?), but I definitely canoe...In fact, I'm hoping to get a trip in sometime this spring....

Keep the cool pictures coming! :D

Leigh

3. Leigh, I much prefer a kayak, seems more stable to me as you sit right down into it. No matter what you use, get out there and enjoy the season!!!

4. That is a very nice image, love the tilt of the head. The reflection of your kayak is just the icing in the cake.

5. Love it! Thnxs for sharing. I look foward to more images taken from your kayak.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Sandi,

I'm pretty impressed by the images out of that off brand cam you have.... :lol: I'm sure that they have nothing whatsoever to do with the skill of the photog. :roll:

Excellent capture!! In all seriousness, your images are right up there with the best I've seen. My only complaint is that you get them the easy way. I mean, anybody can float around and on flat water. To be a real he-man (or woman), you need to take up hiking up and down the mountains in North Alabama and Central Tennessee like Janie and I. We probably have as much invested in our boots as you do in your kayak. :?

Of course, the waterproof cam cases are probably another matter altogether. 8)

Regards,

Frank

7. Bubba

Bubba

Apr 12, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice, indeed. I'm with frank...my only complaint is I can't get shots that way. :):)

8. Thanks folks... I love nothing better than floating around my little 'boat' and taking pics of wildlife. I much prefer it to hiking as the birds seem to trust someone on the water more... they don't fly off because I think they can sense they can even paddle with their feet faster than I can ! *LOL*
    Hey Frank, I live in the heart of the city here, it would take me a two hour drive just to get to some 'wild life' areas to hike. I'd love to do a hiking trip thru Tennessee to shoot all the beautiful waterfalls there.
    I managed to get some great shots of a swan fight which I have to resize and post up. Those beasts can get pretty vicious at mating time! I actually got attacked physically by a swan on my very first paddle and I almost ended up in the drink, and no drybox that day! I learned my lesson - everything is stowed in watertights.
    More in a bit, and thanks for all the kind words. Cheers, Sandi

9. Hi Sandy,

This is an amazing photo. Just like eveyone here says, the reflection is awesome.

Even though I have the D2X, I still have the S2 and it's good to hear you love the S3.

I heard that Swans attack humans, but I never knew anyone who did. I bet that was painful.

10. Pretty cool, but if you want a REALLY cool one, come out our way, take a Kayak trip off the West Coast of San Juan Island and get that reflection in the eye of an Orca :wink: . It is pretty amazing to see the kayakers when the Orca's surface nearby.

How many times did you look at this image before you noticed the reflection? And what do you estimate your distance to have been?

Neat stuff....don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

11. Thanks Melissa. I was flipping thru the pics with Pixort (a great little freebie program for sorting and flagging pics) and my eye was caught by the bright object in the swan's eye and then I realized it was my reflection!!! The attack of the swan last year wasn't painful as he only got the kayak, not me, but I certainly thought I was headed into the water with a dumping and in April, the water here is just barely above freezing! Wet suits are highly recommended...
    Bill, I'd love to do a west coast kayak trip. My kayak is a recreational kayak, not sea kayak. Tons of room with open cockpit (for all my gear). Nothing I love better than bobbing around on the water taking pics of good ol' Mother Nature at work. Actually, this swan got too close to focus with the 70-200 sometimes and I'd have to wait til he backed off. He just loves Goldfish crackers and in fact tried to grab some right out of the boat. I think an Orca would scare the daylights out of me and make me drop my camera!! *LOL* I saw a little MOV file going around the net of an orca the breached RIGHT in front of a kayaker and put him under. There was a LOT of verbage going on by the photographer but was in japanese so I cdn't understand it. Talk about a "soiling your drawers" moment! *LOL* BTW, love your swans avatar - really cool!

12. Sandi, the Avatar is from one of the many days I photographed the Trumpeter Swan fly-outs at a local reserve here. The swans roost here at night. It is an incredible sight. If you ever get out this way in late winter/early spring let me know and I'll take you out. We also get lot's of Snow Geese from up in Canada.

As to the Orcas, I have some photos (old film days) of a trip we made to the West Coast of San Juan Island where we were with the J and K pod's of Orcas for 3 hours or so. A couple of these are a group of Sea Kayakers, with the whales no more than 30-40 feet away. Pretty cool. I am going out to photograph Orcas probably in August and then in October out to look for some feeding Humpbacks that come into the sound around that time. That should be cool.

Here is another Swan shot for you. A take-off "Dancing in the Mist", a very foggy morning:
    DSC0970Crop.sized.

If you look at my site, www.deweydrive.com/gallery in the Nature galleries there are a bunch of these from several spots in the area. From fall through spring we generall have a lot of these migrating birds around, many farmers actually plant for them.

13. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Sandi :

Where around the "megacity" were you kayaking - Ward Island or the Leslie Spit ?

I was a Torontonian for a lot of years... long before the amalgamation of a few years back, and I used to haunt the lake areas. I'm hoping to get up there to see some friends maybe later in the spring or early summer.

And the 70-200mm AFS/VR is a great lens, although I'm shooting a lot more these days with my 200-400mm AFS/VR, just for reach. But then, I'm not kayaking much with my travels in Utah or west Texas :lol: :twisted: :lol: (although I leave tomorrow for central Wisconsin - maybe a lake or two there will entice me).

John P.

14. Now that is so cool isn't cool when you find little gems like these in your shots.

15. Bill, that is a really cool shot, perfect timing, perfect DOF... you can almost hear them in that picture!

John, I put in at Cherry Beach, head over around the spit to see who's nesting, and then paddle over into the Islands. Head past Sunfish Cut, and there's a little area in there, the Beaver Swamp where very few people get into and that's where I was studying my nesting swan last year. I then head on down past Centre Island to the wilds behind Donut Island where the rest of the birds are nesting. Too many people only see the islands are one big park, but there's a LOT of it that is totally wild and all the animals and wildlife hang out there. If you're up here for a bit, and want to, I've now got a second kayak and will be happy to take you out hunting birds. I just love being on the water, and you'll be amazed at the changes of the skyline!
    Jarrell just reported that my 500D has arrived so anxious to try that out on the end of the 70-200VR and yes, that is one beautiful lens. I'm so glad I decided on it - I'm a big believer in buy good: buy once! and didn't want to keep having lens lust while shooting. PM when you know you're heading up here, glad to take you out and about shooting if you'd like. Cheers, Sandi

16. Thanks, Sandi. It turns out that reserve is only 20 minutes from my house, which makes it very convenient. As to "hearing" them, they are really loud. I was down there one very foggy morning where I could not even see the birds across the lake. But I could hear them as they were taking off and it was quite fun, although totally unproductive, to try to figure out where they would pop out of the fog :lol: . Rotten day for photos, but a great day to be outdoors anyway, even if I did freeze my butt off.....

17. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

18. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;