Want a 300lb doorstop?

Real Name
Ken St John
In April 2019, we purchased a Frigidaire full size refrigerator. This model is usually sold as part of a pair - full size (that is, huge) separate freezer and fridge. We don't have room for the freezer, but having more cold storage room in the kitchen was high on my wife's shopping list, especially since we have a standup freezer in the garage. On July 2, 2021, we noticed that it was getting warmer inside the fridge ... a lot warmer. Sounded like the compressor was still running. We called our home warranty company (which has been a valuable "insurance" for us) and the earliest they could get someone out was after the 4th of July weekend was over. OK ... luckily we still have an ancient fridge in the garage as well, so we loaded it up and waited. By Monday, the 4th, the internal temp inside our fancy, 2 year old fridge, was up to 65º F. The first repairman said ... "it's a sealed system, I can't fix it" and left. Warranty company sent out a second guy who reached the same conclusion. I offered to let them buy us a new fridge instead (an option in our contract) but they asked to send out one more repair service. OK. By this time we were in mid July. This one was from Frigidaire itself and, yes, he could fix it. But, he needed parts ... so they were ordered. Warranty company was happy since it would be "repaired". And, we were getting a lot of exercise heading out to the garage several times a day.

Around July 28, I heard from Frigidaire that one of the parts ordered was on back order ... but should be released on Aug 2. On the 5th I called in to check on the status, and after waiting on hold for more than an hour, I was told that the estimated date had slipped ... to as "early" as October 25, 2021, but possibly as late as sometime in March 2022!! I was not happy. The home warranty company decided since it could be fixed, they would not buy us a new one citing their "COVID has interrupted many suppliers parts availability" statement, plus they had already reimbursed me for the full cost of the repair. Frankly, I understand their position, as unfair as it seems.

My wife and I decided to cancel the service and demand a full refund from Frigidaire, and applied that to the purchase of a new, non-Frigidaire, fridge. It's not the best of situations, but we reasoned that over the past two years we had regretted not having a "real" fridge/freezer inside anyway so we went ahead and got a new one ordered and it will be delivered on Saturday.

So .. anyone want a $3,000, 300 pound, doorstop?
EOSR2317.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

LESSON LEARNED - #1 is check out the warranty ... Frigidaire only covers parts/labor for 1 year. After that you're on your own. We found a Samsung we liked and it has a 5 year parts & labor warranty on the sealed system, and an additional 5 years on the compressor. At least they think it may last longer than a few months!! Plus we signed up for the "Extended Service Contract" that we didn't think we'd need originally. I guess that's my fault ... I'm old enough to remember that the longevity of a fridge was measured in years and decades ... not weeks and months!!

Ken

Last edited:
This is why I keep all my old appliances. My fridge is 28 years old. My washer and dryer both are over 30. My stove voted for Roosevelt. I think my dishwasher came to the US on the Mayflower. If I need to replace any of them, there's several second-hand stores that refurb old ones and sell / deliver it and haul off the old one for less than $200.

That's a sad story about a once sterling American brand.

We decided to replace our 30-year-old Amana about two years ago. It was still running, but was very noisy. So we bought an LG for about $1000. So far it's been fine (fingers crossed).

We have an Amana freezer in the basement that's now 50 years old and still working fine.

Real Name
Ken St John
I have a Sub Zero that is 35 years old. Not so much as a hiccup in all those years. I clean the condensing coil yearly and that's it.
Sounds like our Kenmore upright freezer out in the garage ... it's about 20 years old and runs like a champ!!

Yikes. What a pain!
We have a Frigidaire (top freezer) that's about 10 years old. So far so good.
They are now part of Electrolux. Maybe that's the issue. I don't know, but when we were shopping we did not consider another Frigidaire!!!

Ken

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I had a big two door GE fridge/freezer. I must have had the back off 20 times fitting new parts in it, until eventually it was beyond repair - less than 10 years.
Now I have a Samsung fridge/freezer. It works. I love the clever "showcase" door. The ice dispenser actually works every time without getting jammed with icebergs.
There is a good reason they are the largest electronics/appliance company in the world.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Wow - what a story!

I have an LG refrigerator and microwave that are both about 15 years old and they run great, thank goodness. I had, however, a Kenmore stove that did not work from the day one. Had to call out the repair people four times for the same repair. Fortunately it was under warranty but I ended up having to get it replaced, which I did with a non-Kenmore product.

Last edited:
Real Name
Ken St John
I had a big two door GE fridge/freezer. I must have had the back off 20 times fitting new parts in it, until eventually it was beyond repair - less than 10 years.
Now I have a Samsung fridge/freezer. It works. I love the clever "showcase" door. The ice dispenser actually works every time without getting jammed with icebergs.
There is a good reason they are the largest electronics/appliance company in the world.
I hope we're as fortunate as it sounds like pretty much the same one we're getting!! This one even has a nifty little cold water pitcher inside the fridge door that always stays full up .... and has an infuser if we decide to try that!! :)

Ken

Real Name
Ken St John
So Frigidaire did in fact give you a refund of the original purchase?
Nope, not the purchase ... but I had to pay up front for the labor and parts for the planned "repair" and when they could not even supply the parts, I cancelled that repair and they refunded me that much (around $800). The rest is a loss. Terrible deal all around, financially, but there's no other options given that their "warranty" is only for one year and ours was two years, and two months old when it died. Terrible quality ... and the customer service is even worse!! 45-60 minutes on hold is the rule, and once someone does answer (in the Philippines, according to my Filipino wife's ear), half the time they claim they can't hear anything and hang up!!:mad:

Ken

When we bought a new fridge about two years ago we narrowed the choice to Samsung or LG. We went with LG because the salesman at Home Depot said service on Samsungs was difficult to get in our area. That may not be true in other areas.

Sounds like my GE fridge story. I Moved into new construction a few years ago, which included GE appliances. Dishwasher lasted 8 years, microwave 10 years, and the fridge 6 months. Fridge had a one year warranty, being only 6 months in service, I called GE. They said sorry, the warranty started when it was delivered To The Builder, not first use.

Real Name
Ken
Sorry to hear of your woes, but the timing of your post is uncanny. A colleague on the Kitsap let me know that her washer needed repair. I gave her the name of my appliance repair guy, who also happens to be on the Kitsap, and told her to call him. I also told her to ask what he would recommend if he could not fix the washer. She called me later to ell me that he suggested buying anything but Frigidaire. Their reputation has really taken a hit over the years, unfortunatley.

Good luck,

--Ken

This really made me laugh. You must not have chosen a model that it part of class action lawsuit against Samsung - link

We were not so lucky. I don't freak out when something is defective. Stuff happens. It's all about how the company deals with it. Samsung graded out at a straight F. 84,000+ people in the Facebook group about these fridges, most sharing stories about how Samsung tried to screw them over like some shady insurance company in a bad Grisham novel. Really disappointing. I don't think I'll ever have another Samsung anything, unless something is so compelling that I'm willing to ignore the stunning lack of ethics they've demonstrated. Good luck with that. :)

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
This really made me laugh. You must not have chosen a model that it part of class action lawsuit against Samsung - link

We were not so lucky. I don't freak out when something is defective. Stuff happens. It's all about how the company deals with it. Samsung graded out at a straight F. 84,000+ people in the Facebook group about these fridges, most sharing stories about how Samsung tried to screw them over like some shady insurance company in a bad Grisham novel. Really disappointing. I don't think I'll ever have another Samsung anything, unless something is so compelling that I'm willing to ignore the stunning lack of ethics they've demonstrated. Good luck with that. :)
I fear ethics is in short supply. I have also had excellent phones and TV from Samsung. I guess they solved the ice problem before I got mine.
But I do have my own blacklist. There is a group of companies called Dixons in the UK. I bought a phone from them once and on complaining to the manager of the store that when I pressed a number button it would randomly dial a different number I was told by him that "You shouldn't have bought a crap phone" and ordered to leave. Another on my list is BMW - huge amounts of money wasted trying to fix an X5 that they eventually admitted they couldn't even diagnose - an internet search revealed lots of people across the world with the same issue and never any help.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom