1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Want to borrow, rent, or something else a 12-24

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davidzvi, Jul 12, 2007.

1. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    I'm going to Alaska 7/23 thru 8/8.

I can't afford or at least justify right now even a Tokina 12-24.
    So I'll looking for someone that might be willing to let me borrow or rent their 12-24 for the trip. I would need it on 7/20, the Friday before we leave, and would ship it back so it would be back in your hands by 8/13.

Ok, that is the borrow or rent, now for the something else.

I can't be the only one in this position and I thought of another option. Is there anyone out there that would be willing to commit to renting a Tokina 12-24? By comminting I do mean paying now and not later. This would have to be done soon, but I figured I'd give it a try.

What I was thinking was maybe $50 for 2-3 weeks (not per week). This would including one way shipping but you would pay to ship back. The other thing to think about is this would be a you break it you own. If you damage the lens you would be responsible for buying it.

Yes I thought about just renting myself from an online or local place, but Most are in the $100-150 range and I could probably buy the 12-24 and resell it for the same cost.

If anyone thinks this is a good idea or bad idea please feel free to let me know.

I was actually thinking about the same thing for things like an Epson P-5000, but I'm thinking that has too many moving and more easily breakable parts.

2. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    Ziplens.com has the tokina for a little less than $50 for 2 weeks and the nikon version for $85 for 2 weeks. I've used them before with no problems and the equipment is in mint condition(at least what I rented).

Just an fyi if you couldn't find anyone to let you rent from them.
    Larry

3. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Thanks, Larry.

I looked at them. I would really need it for three weeks not just 2. With S&H it's still at $80. There are 2 on that "E" site that I could buy and turn around for sale that would probably cost about the same, which I might do. But I thought of this idea so I figured I'd give it a try.

4. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    I'm not discounting the rental market. I mean I would not even think about this for something like a 200-400 f4 for example. But for a $500 lens I thought maybe.

5. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Well the 300 would be one reason I can't just get a 12-24. :frown:

6. Were I not also going away in that time frame, I'd lend David my lens. Just a quick plug, he's a wonderful guy who takes excellent care of his gear. I wouldn't hesitate to lend him anything in my collection. :smile:

7. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Thanks Gretchen, I do have one offer that I may end up taking unless this idea flies or some one local offers.

8. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    What about a temporary trade for the fisheye?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.