Want to borrow, rent, or something else a 12-24

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davidzvi, Jul 12, 2007.

1. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    I'm going to Alaska 7/23 thru 8/8.

I can't afford or at least justify right now even a Tokina 12-24.
    So I'll looking for someone that might be willing to let me borrow or rent their 12-24 for the trip. I would need it on 7/20, the Friday before we leave, and would ship it back so it would be back in your hands by 8/13.

Ok, that is the borrow or rent, now for the something else.

I can't be the only one in this position and I thought of another option. Is there anyone out there that would be willing to commit to renting a Tokina 12-24? By comminting I do mean paying now and not later. This would have to be done soon, but I figured I'd give it a try.

What I was thinking was maybe $50 for 2-3 weeks (not per week). This would including one way shipping but you would pay to ship back. The other thing to think about is this would be a you break it you own. If you damage the lens you would be responsible for buying it.

Yes I thought about just renting myself from an online or local place, but Most are in the $100-150 range and I could probably buy the 12-24 and resell it for the same cost.

If anyone thinks this is a good idea or bad idea please feel free to let me know.

I was actually thinking about the same thing for things like an Epson P-5000, but I'm thinking that has too many moving and more easily breakable parts.

2. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    Ziplens.com has the tokina for a little less than $50 for 2 weeks and the nikon version for $85 for 2 weeks. I've used them before with no problems and the equipment is in mint condition(at least what I rented).

Just an fyi if you couldn't find anyone to let you rent from them.
    Larry

3. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Thanks, Larry.

I looked at them. I would really need it for three weeks not just 2. With S&H it's still at $80. There are 2 on that "E" site that I could buy and turn around for sale that would probably cost about the same, which I might do. But I thought of this idea so I figured I'd give it a try.

4. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    I'm not discounting the rental market. I mean I would not even think about this for something like a 200-400 f4 for example. But for a $500 lens I thought maybe.

5. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Well the 300 would be one reason I can't just get a 12-24. :frown:

6. Were I not also going away in that time frame, I'd lend David my lens. Just a quick plug, he's a wonderful guy who takes excellent care of his gear. I wouldn't hesitate to lend him anything in my collection. :smile:

7. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Thanks Gretchen, I do have one offer that I may end up taking unless this idea flies or some one local offers.

8. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    What about a temporary trade for the fisheye?