Want to make a purchase, Macbook Air or iMac?!?!

So I need a new apple computer and debating between the macbook air and the Imac. I realize these are pretty different computers but a few questions if you guys can chime in on the specifics.

Basically I want something I can travel with to use internet, skype etc while travelling and for photography have something to back up my photos as well as maybe some minor editing and organizing in lightroom. So clearly my choice is the macbook air cause Imac is not portable.

So basically I wanted to ask your advice on .....

1. is the macbook air 11inch (11 inch would be great for travel) enough to run lightroom and edit photos or do i need the 13 inch? I have the cash to add some upgrades to the 11inch when ordering it if you think i should upgrade any specifics before ordering! Only thing I DONT like about 11inch is no SD card slot.

2. then I would buy a nice monitor at home to have a nice screen at home for editing etc. instead of the small macbook air 11inch.

3. i feel like i may be using the Imac as only a photo editing tool and that is an expensive machine to only edit photos as i mostly use a laptop around the house so may be better off with the 11inch for laptop use at home and on travel and then a monitor at home for editing instead of iMac

Thanks!

I'm thinking of buying a Macbook Air for traveling and to load the images from my SD card to an external hard drive. I'm not sure if a Macbook Air can cope with my D800 RAW files. I have a 2010 i7 iMac which is barely okay for that.

A Macbook Air doesn't have a ethernet port. All my Lightroom catalogs are connected with a NAS. Not sure how a Macbook Air performs with a network USB dongle either.

Why don't you consider a Macbook Pro and get an extra monitor for home? It's a like having the best of 2 worlds?

I went through a similar decision process and ended up with a 13" rMBP (256GB SSD, 8GB ram, i5), and recently got a Thunderbolt display.

I chose that laptop because it felt like the best balance of trade-offs for on the road editing and portability. I only shoot for fun, but I like to do my final-ish edits and the retina screen is really nice to work on, though it is small. It's a sufficiently fast setup for the non-power-user. I also appreciate the built-in SD reader, as all of my cameras now use SD cards and I don't have to carry a reader.

I only just plugged in the TBD. The screen is pretty good, but you do get spoiled by the awesomeness of the retina displays. It's utility as a docking station is worth it though. All of my drives are now plugged into the back, and I love that it powers the laptop without needing to fuss with cords. It instantly optimizes the laptop output for the display when you plug it in.

Whatever you get, I'd consider the upgrade to a 256GB SSD, so that there is room for your programs and an extra 50-100GB of photos so you can edit right off the machine, rather than an external drive.

Greg:

I went through a similar choice between the air and a mac mini.

I chose a reconditioned mid 2012 13in Air, 128ssd. It works great with my d700 nefs on NX2.

A lot of people suggested the Mini and I would probably have gone with it but there were no reconditioned ones in stock at the time.

The 2012 refurbished Mini (i7 quad core) from the Apple store was about $679. Upgrade the memory to 16gb for another $100-120.

I love my MBA but I agree with the people who posted in my thread, the 2012 Mini upgraded would have been perfect for processing. It is really easy to upgrade the memory whereas the Imac I believe is harder, and of course if you ever have a problem you have to take the whole unit in.

Cheers
Wembley

So i decided to go for the macbook air for now. I got the 13inch with 256 storage and upgraded to 8GB memory. I wanted something a little bigger than 11inch for photo editing but at the same time its so light and portable for bring travelling to work etc.

Ill see how this does for awhile and decide on an Imac or mac mini if i want something bigger and nicer screen for home editing.

The 13" has a card reader.

Yes it does! This was one of things i really liked over the 11inch as its one less thing to have to bring around (card reader if I had the 11 inch)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom