Want to switch to Mac but.......

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Sam Rettinger, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Thinking of dumnping Windows for Mac. I run a small business and all the programs I need are Office and Quick Books. Can you direct me to any info on what I might expect with a change over?

2. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

You can run windows on your mac if needed.

3. Will my existing word and excel files open in Mac office?

4. From what I've seen, there are no major differences between the Mac and Windows versions of Office and they're supposed to be fully compatible. Have a look here for more information.

Intuit makes a version of Quick Books for the Mac as well. Look here.

Sorry, too slow :( 

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2008
  5. Yes, they will. I've done that many times.

6. Welcome and enjoy your new mac!

7. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

Depending on what you have done and will need to do with Office, you could also possibly use Open Office which is free and multi-platform.

8. If you take your PC's into the Apple store and buy your mac and office and quickbooks, they will transfer your files for free...

9. Is apple's email app as easy and organized as Outlook?

10. I don't know as I don't use Apple Mail However, I have always used Entourage which you will get if you buy Mac Office. That is like Outlook.

11. demosaic

demosaic Guest

I certainly hope not. Outlook is easy and organized?

For e-mail, I use Thunderbird, from the same people who brought you Firefox. It runs on Linux, Macs, and Windows. It talks to POP and IMAP servers. If you're using an Exchange server, you'll need something else.

12. Before I went to a Mac I was using MS Office in my PC, including, of course, Outlook as my email client. When I made the switch to a Mac I immediately purchased MS Office for the Mac 2004 and used Entourage as my email client. This last year when it was clear that we'd be seeing a new version of Office for the Mac, I began to rethink and re-evaluate my need for that suite and wondered whether or not Apple's Mail would fit the bill for my email client. As it happened, I bought the MacBook Air and here was the perfect opportunity to try out Mail without gumming up anything on my other machines. I tried it, I liked it, I said, "this is a keeper!" and promptly began using it on my other machines as well. I don't have that many occasions where I need to use Word -- Pages has done quite nicely for me -- and so I decided to not purchase the 2008 version of Office for the Mac. I haven't missed it at all.

Yes, in fact there are some features that I like in Mail better than in Entourage. Also, though, I had found earlier than Entourage itself was much smoother than Outlook!

13. Thanks all...you have been a big help

14. absolutely.... yes

15. good luck
    i suspect, that like most others here.... and elsewhere...
    once you make the switch (should you choose to)
    you'll never look back

16. Greg, that appears to be correct, my MAC friends that look at my PC give me a look like I have an outhouse in the backyard.

17. LOL
    well.... i am a HUGE mac fan
    but... my office still runs with the help of Mr. Gates...
    big dell server.... microsoft server 2003
    there is NO way around that, at THIS point

most medical software runs on microsoft-based software
    so... there will be NO mac-only world in my immediate future

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.