Wanted - Fast lens For D80 - Up North in England

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Nick D80, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Nick D80

Nick D80 Guest

Hi Folks

I'm new to the world of Nikon and very much a learner when it comes to photography in general. Until recently I used an Olympus E10 which didn't require much knowledge on lenses...

Prior to that I had a Canon T90 with an assortment of lenses but I still didn't know what I was doing.

I've now taken up sports photography (cage fighting) and just trying to carve a wage out of a new website I've published.

In another thread - Member Simon Evans generously advised I get a 2.8 lens or faster.

So that's what I'm looking for... preferably a 2nd hand one in good order.. I've got to be careful with the funds because I need to justify every penny I spend at the moment. So anyone living within about 100 miles of Pickering in North Yorkshire, ... (I have a couple of hundred quid max) feel free to get in touch.

I'm looking to be able to work in poor light and achieve sharp pics from very close up - right in front of me. To filling the lens with a fight pic at about 20ft away.

Feel free to PM me if you can help... any tips or advice posted in here much appreciated.

I don't trust online auctions - unless I can visit, examine and pay cash.

Nick
    :smile:

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    If I take "a couple hundred quid" to mean about four benjamins, then you are probably looking at a 35-70mm f/2.8 if you want a Nikkor. If you are not opposed to Tokina, Sigma or Tamron, there are several 24 or 28-(60,70 or 105) lenses that would also have a useful range of focal lengths.

Or you could consider going with a 50mm f/1.8 or 35mm f/2, or even the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. The larger aperture may be more useful than a zoom range, Idk.

ps, we do not allow 'Want To Buy' ads outside of the For Sale area (See the link about the FS forum at the top of the page.)

3. Nick D80

Nick D80 Guest

Aye.. about four benjamins... and apologies for blatantly not reading the rules... will do.. and thanks for the tips