Wanted: Loon photo opportunities 2021

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I seriously want to photograph loons! My bucket list is short, and this one is at the top. ( Snowies are also on the list! )

Anyone know of a someone who leads "tours" on a lake(s) targeting loons? A boat that is very stable and allows shooting near the waterline is preferred. I know a canoe or kayak is best, but I wouldn't trust myself with my gear in one of those! :confused:

I'd like to time it for parents with babies. When would that best time be?

Any and all information is much appreciated! PM me if desired.

We have had 7 loons on our lake in Maine for the last few years but babies usually don't make it up there. Too many eagles. Good luck with your hunt!

I go to one pond but it is strictly hit or miss. Babies survive less than half the time. Also, it is hard to know when they will hatch.
My advise to you is to look into photo tours where the person leading them has access to several locations.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We have had 7 loons on our lake in Maine for the last few years but babies usually don't make it up there. Too many eagles. Good luck with your hunt!
Logan lake in British Columbia, Naturscapes used to do tours there every year, next year if we are all lucky that might be possible. not many spots left... https://www.naturescapes.net/workshops-tours/loon-bird-photography-workshop-canada
I go to one pond but it is strictly hit or miss. Babies survive less than half the time. Also, it is hard to know when they will hatch.
My advise to you is to look into photo tours where the person leading them has access to several locations.
Thanks so much! Naturescapes is essentially sold out for 2021 due to moving reservations from this year to next year. And I'm opposed to giving them $1,000 deposit now for 2022, given their No Refund policy! Not my kind of business, I guess.

A successful trip appears to be definitely hit or miss. Apparently often there are babies only every other year, and of course the birthing season can vary by several weeks each year. But I still hope to line up a trip for 2022 WITHOUT having to hand over a lot of money right now. After all, who knows what will happen between now and spring 2022! LOL!

Next time you are in YNP spend some time on the Madison River around 7 mile bridge. All the local loons always seem to hang out in that section of river. They are there in May , September and October.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom