Wanting a D6 real bad...

So the more I look at the D6, the MORE I want one!!! It'll replace my D3s. Which STILL works and looks flawless. I'm trying to justify the purchase though. LOL I just upgraded my D700 with the D750 and LOVE that camera. I want the D6 for sports and concerts and I'm sure the higher ISO's are much cleaner and show less noise than my D750 or possibly the D850? I was thinking of going that route too to save some money. Not sure what to do... LOL And not sur I want all those pixels that come with the D850 for what I shoot. I'm not a landscape shooter at all.

Opinions?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I shoot the D5 and D850. LOVE both of them. The D5 is my go-to camera for birds, wildlife and low light photography. Spend some time comparing reviews of the D5 with the D6. I think Steve Perry did a such a review but I don't have the link for it. Not that much changed and you can get used D5's at a pretty reasonable price - at least a LOT less than a new D6 ! LOL!

You will find the D5 a HUGE step up from the D3s.....and a much smaller increment to the D6. Many D5 owners passed on the D6 for that reason.

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
BTW - I went from a D3s to a D5.......Night and day difference. The D5 is just a joy to use.

But if you want to spend the money, the D6 is the top DSLR in Nikon's stable..................

The D5 would be a HUGE jump compared to my D3S!!! That’s probably not a bad idea to go that route

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
So the more I look at the D6, the MORE I want one!!! It'll replace my D3s. Which STILL works and looks flawless. I'm trying to justify the purchase though. LOL I just upgraded my D700 with the D750 and LOVE that camera. I want the D6 for sports and concerts and I'm sure the higher ISO's are much cleaner and show less noise than my D750 or possibly the D850? I was thinking of going that route too to save some money. Not sure what to do... LOL And not sur I want all those pixels that come with the D850 for what I shoot. I'm not a landscape shooter at all.

Opinions?
Hi Joe,
I did the same step some weeks ago.
The D3S was magnificent, but the D6 plays in another league.
The AF is worlds apart. Nikon has done a huge step.

Kind regards
Klaus

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Don't write off the D850 so quickly. It is very similar to the D5.....you can even get an adapter and use D5 batteries in the D850. AND the AF is very close to the D5! Makes a great second camera on African safaris, etc. And all those pixels? What's not to love, especially when your long glass and tele still don't get you close enough. The D850 cropability is nice-to-have!!!!

Look at this hummingbird gallery. All shot in the wild. Click on the first image to view full screen, then click on the "i" in the upper left corner to see capture information. Use the arrow key on the right to click through the images. The first 3 images were taken with the D5...and the 4th image was taken with the D850. In fact, the next 6 images were taken with the D850! I don't hesitate to use the D850 for wildlife. And it goes without saying that I love the D850 for landscapes and architecture!

The D5 and D850 are a combo that is very, very hard to beat. And there are some good used D850s as folks sell them to move to the Z's........................

I don't know much about the D6 - I know that many of you folks are just in awe of using it for sports/wildlife. I'm not sure that the ISO performance exceeds the D750:
here

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I don't know much about the D6 - I know that many of you folks are just in awe of using it for sports/wildlife. I'm not sure that the ISO performance exceeds the D750:
here
It's not the ISO performance, which is very, very good. It is the AF system that enables it to back up the D5.............. If you have a D5, you don't need a D750 for high ISO's.....................

If it were me, I'd want both. But then I have a problem that I fully acknowledge . . . :(
I have the D6 and I'm very happy, but my shopping genes kinda want the Z9 comes out "just because". The problem with the Z9 is that the longer lenses aren't natively available yet. If the Z9 will be "only" 45mpx I might spring for a D850 for getting more pixels for astrophotography and keep my F-mount lenses. I'm always wanting that "next thing" and I kinda hope there will be a Z8 that is 60mpx, or an updated D850 with F-mount and more mpx.
The sensible half (or small corner?) of my brain says that D6 with my bag of lenses is still well into "pearls for swine territory". So it'll end how it always ends, one morning I'll wake up and buy a Z9 on a whim.

-A

I’m not looking to go mirror less. Way too much of an investment if I was to go that route, needing lenses. I definitely WANT/NEED the D5/6. Shot my D750 with grip, the last 5 days and really miss the bigger size of my D3S.

McQ

Still looking to break 80 consistently.
Real Name
Glenn
The D5 would be a HUGE jump compared to my D3S!!! That’s probably not a bad idea to go that route
And if you've ever seen any of Karen's photos with either the D5 or the D850 you'll be sold on them.

I still want the D850 but other financial priorities get to the head of the line before it does.

Family obligations and the fact my son starts college next year has me holding off on a purchase like this right now. Although, I just got hired by a local to me photography studio. They shoot for over 200 schools in my area and do a lot of sporting events. Whatever money I make from those jobs will go towards a new camera purchase. By the time I have enough, I’ll probably be buying the D9!!! ??

The D5 is my work horse. There is nothing the camera can't do. I borrowed a D6 from NPS and honestly wasn't impressed when I compared it to the D5 so I passed on it. I will prbably pass on the Z9 too, as I need a camera for high ISO. also have a D850 and a "ahem" Canon R5. I use the D850 in my studio and the R5 for wildlife/birds. If I replace my D5 with another camera, it will most likely be a 1DX MK III.

Latest threads

Top Bottom