wants to learn how to edit

Thank you for the links.
even adjusting the white balance or tint in the pictures causes an overpowering effect image wide, it is like that haze in the picture is linking everything together. And trying to adjust something adversely affects a different color.

Thank you for the links.
even adjusting the white balance or tint in the pictures causes an overpowering effect image wide, it is like that haze in the picture is linking everything together. And trying to adjust something adversely affects a different color.
This is just a guess but are you trying to get it to look something like this:
20210811  00 25 001-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thank you for the links.
Have you tried Googling "How to process night sky photos"? Several things come up. HERE is one such result. And another one.....

Processing night skies is a specialized type of processing. I don't think there is anything wrong with your camera or your raw files. If you aren't comfortable with the basics of using LR and/or Photoshop, I highly recommend that you invest the time to learn the basics of these powerful tools.

CreativeLive.com has several courses you can purchase and then replay as many times as you want. Ben Wilmore has excellent courses on both Lightroom and Photoshop. And Tim Cooper has 2 courses specifically addressing post processing of night photos.

As Mike and others have pointed out, astrophotography is a very subspecialized genre.
How absolute dark is your area? I can not tell, but some light pollution can give a haze like pattern.
The astro photographs I love to look at often have hours of post processing by experts.
I doubt if there is anything wrong with your equipment, although a 24 70 f4 lens is not optimal for such captures.
Good luck with your journey, let us know how it goes.
Gary

Last edited:
Have you tried Googling "How to process night sky photos"? Several things come up. HERE is one such result. And another one.....

Processing night skies is a specialized type of processing. I don't think there is anything wrong with your camera or your raw files. If you aren't comfortable with the basics of using LR and/or Photoshop, I highly recommend that you invest the time to learn the basics of these powerful tools.

CreativeLive.com has several courses you can purchase and then replay as many times as you want. Ben Wilmore has excellent courses on both Lightroom and Photoshop. And Tim Cooper has 2 courses specifically addressing post processing of night photos.
My first link, above, is for exactly that, an article by Spencer Cox. I also link to camera and equipment techniques, because getting it right in camera makes the rest so much easier, as you point out.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
My first link, above, is for exactly that, an article by Spencer Cox. I also link to camera and equipment techniques, because getting it right in camera makes the rest so much easier, as you point out.
Yes, there are many resources on the internet! ;)

adjusting the white balance or tint in the pictures causes an overpowering effect image wide

Adjusting the white balance or tint is a global adjustment, meaning it affects the entire image, unless you apply the adjustment only to the part of the photo that you have selected. Your comment about that indicates to me that it's likely that some basic tutorials about how to do post-processing regardless of the genre might be very helpful to you.

The area was fairly dark could almost see the milky way definition on the horizon, did some astro landscape last year also and did not have these issues with my z50. (laptop via usb to control the shutter)
i know the 24-70 is not optimal, currently saving up to get a z 20mm f1,8 soon.

Everytime i try and follow the steps given as advice the picture ends up very noise riddled or the color is way off.
I have been looking at a lot of articles and video content.

Real Name
Ken
There are a number of good, free videos out there, but I recommend starting with Julieanne Kosts's. https://jkost.com/blog/lightroom-training-videos She has been with Adobe for years teaching LR with her videos, and she is a great instructor. Once you have the basics, there are many others that can help you learn techniques. But first you need to understand your toolkit and how the tools work.

I would also recommend any book on darkroom and film photography if you really want to understand the basics behind post processing, the digital version of working in a darkroom. Understanding exposure is really key to getting good results, and the old Kodak books were great at teaching about exposure curves.

Good luck,

--Ken

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Seems like no mater what i say i just get told of go read a beginners guides and shut up.
I have re-read the posts and I could not find a single comment that indicated you should ""shut up". What I did find was several people who offered to help, even providing links to resources.

I also noticed that you keep saying that your adjustments affect the entire image and create a lot of noise. Those comments indicate that you are not taking advantage of the tools within LR and PS and the adjustments you are making are actually making the image worse. Hence the encouragement to gain a better understanding of those tools and how to use them when post processing night images.

Both LR and PS offer ways to make targeted adjustments that only affect certain areas or colors within an image. In fact, that is the strong suit of PS....targeted adjustments using adjustment layers and masks and adjustments where you can target certain luminosities, colors or sections of the image. Both LR and PS also have effective noise control tools, although many of us use plug-ins that work with both LR and PS.

did not have these issues with my z50

Your Nikon Z7 II has about twice the resolution of your Z50. When you increase resolution so dramatically, the camera records everything in greater detail. That includes everything that is good and everything that is bad, so to speak. Then when you do the post-processing, some adjustments that you make might make the Z50 image worse in some ways but not so much that you notice them. However, when you apply the same adjustments to an image made using the Z7 II, you might suddenly notice the details that became worse because you see all details better when captured at such a higher resolution.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I have a YouTube channel but it is dedicated to Capture One .. not Lightroom / Photoshop. The tools are similar - exposure, high dynamic range, color balance, curves, lens and keystone correction, dehaze, clone and heal tools, etc. Capture One has some tools not available in Lightroom, and vice versa (as with all apps there are trade-offs).

Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/WalterRowePhotography

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I have a YouTube channel but it is dedicated to Capture One .. not Lightroom / Photoshop. The tools are similar - exposure, high dynamic range, color balance, curves, etc. Capture One has some tools not available in Lightroom, and vice versa (as with all apps there are trade-offs).

https://www.youtube.com/c/WalterRowePhotography
Video unavailable....

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom