wants to learn how to edit

Now i am getting some good gear together, i realize i need to learn about editing. (eg curves, histogram, the works)
Let just go with me at square one and take it from there, where would you recommend i start and learn from.
any good sites where i can start, and later even do some online clases or video guides from?

here is an example of my poor editing skills from a recent attempt some landscape astro.
08-08-2021-21.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I use Lightroom (and some Photoshop) but mostly learned from tutorials. I primarily use it for importing, sorting and quick edits.

My main program is Capture 1 when I want to do more in-depth editing. I know there are good tutorials for C1 and maybe someone can suggest similar ones for LR/PS.

Thank you for the input gonna look into them, most of what i have found earlier was site that just beat around the bush and want to sell presets. (nothing to learn there)
i do not mind learning from both videos and text, since both formats work for me as long they tell the whys and not to.

I would second the recommendation of the Scott kelby site.
Sometimes the hardest part of post is knowing where you are trying to get to, and recognize when you are there and stop.
Gary
Channeling Alice in Wonderland . . . (y)
One of my favorite quotes.

Thank you i have started to considering getting rid of my gear, since i am getting sick this camera.
no matter how i expose i always get a "haze" i have to remove, that the causes other noise and issues.
Also now i find every 400 shots i get stuck or dead pixel i have to remap.

I really love going around taking pictures, it unwinds me like nothing else. but i find it hard to be happy when everytime i open the editing software it looks like it was shot at very high iso. (or have a bunch of dead or stuck pixels) :(:(

Thank you i have started to considering getting rid of my gear, since i am getting sick this camera.
no matter how i expose i always get a "haze" i have to remove, that the causes other noise and issues.
Also now i find every 400 shots i get stuck or dead pixel i have to remap.

I really love going around taking pictures, it unwinds me like nothing else. but i find it hard to be happy when everytime i open the editing software it looks like it was shot at very high iso. (or have a bunch of dead or stuck pixels) :(:(
As Mike above suggests, this is not our general experience with this camera/lens combination. It might be best to start a separate thread posting an original image you find problematic.

Be sure to include the settings you used to take the image and any post-processing you did.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
And perhaps simply convert the raw file to jpg with no processing. That way we can see how the image came out of the camera.

here is one unprocessed raw, i can not do much in lightroom without it affecting the whole picture and not just the color i want to adjust.

looking straight up has the same kind of haze, and very little adjustment causes very big impact on noise VERY fast.

(120 sek exposure f4 iso 1600)
11-08-2021-9.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I don't do this style of photography but I certainly don't see anything in this photo indicating that your Nikon Z II is not functioning well. Your desire to adjust a particular color or otherwise achieve a particular look has to do with learning how to use a specialized aspect of your post-processing software. I don't use Lightroom so I won't offer any suggestions about that, but I'm willing to bet that you will get lots of help with it.

Now that I understand your situation, I recommend that you upload your raw file to a free file-sharing website so others can download it and work with it to achieve something close to the results you hope to achieve, thus proving that indeed it can be done and that your camera isn't at fault. Once they've done that, they can also explain how they achieved those results.

Is the Lightroom that you're using licensed through the Adobe CC photography program that also includes Photoshop? I ask just in case one of the gurus feels that what you want to do can be done more easily in Photoshop.

Last, if you change the thread title to "Help, please, with post-processing astro photos," I think you'll get more help, including perhaps pointing you to some effective post-processing tutorials pertaining specifically to astro photography.

I will now bow out of the discussion but only because, being unfamiliar with the details of making astro photos, I really can't provide any direct help.

Last edited:
i have both lightroom and photoshop.
have tried both in lightroom and photoshop, every time i try and adjust one color eg orange or yellow by adding satuation or hue. Other colors go out of control and noise goes completely out of hand very fast.

Latest threads

Top Bottom