Warm or Cool?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Commodorefirst, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Well,

Having a bit of time trying to decide between the warm look or the cool look on this photo. Just shot it yesterday, and since I am new to the site, (lurker for a while though) thought I would introduce myself and say hello and recieve your thoughts on this image.

I like aspects of both, and was playing around with WB while shooting some brids on a very very hazy hot day here in Missouri.

Which do you prefer?

This poor fella was panting like crazy, I was able to get closer than normal because he didn't want to fly in this heat! Notice his cheek puff on one shot and the exhale/sunken cheek on the other shot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gald to be aboard,

Wade

2. I'd go right in between.

What's funny is if you showed each of them separately, both would be just fine...

3. If the colour is due to late day sun, I always leave it as it's portraying the setting sun, not just white balance issue. My late day shots of swans are very warm, but that's what it was!

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nsice shot. Yes he does look hot.

the natural one looks best. The cool one has a blue cast on the white feathers to me.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    As a previous responder said, either would look good if posted alone. Having taken several thousand GBH shots, my choice would be in between, as long as you are not looking at very late or very early light, as Sandi pointed out. In that case, I would go with warm. :wink:

6. Very nice image capturing it with the beak open. I do like the second one with a little less blue.

7. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Nice Photos

Like others have said, I like both and either would be fine if posted alone.

The top one appears to be in early morning or late evening light, but appears a little too warm to me. The bottom photo looks a bit too cool, though probably closer to what I typically see.

Welcome to the board and hope to see more from you, Like you I am more of a lurker myself. I like to see what others are shooting and get some ideas to improve my shooting.

Joe

8. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Yes, around here non photographers seem to like the "blue" water even though the shot was in-between the two images, but flat. The image needed some pop in either direction, but I tend to like the warmer shot too.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Wade

9. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    This was in pretty bad light, around 3pm, and a hazy day, flat light, but better than midday blue skies.

I usually shoot RAW most of the time, but was shooting a lot of birds in flight so I switched to JPG for the Frame rate to stay up on my D70. When I do this I change and bracket WB to give some options.

Thanks

Wade

10. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Thanks for your looks and suggestions, not having taken but a few hundred GBH shots, getting one to stay close, and full body was nice for a chnage.

Cheers,

wade

11. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Re: Nice Photos

Yes, usually I get shots with the mouth closed, but they were panting with the heat.

Yes, having lurked a lot, I just thought I should get aboard and share and discuss.

thanks,

Wade