Warming the preset WB

In tricky mixed lighting situations, I frequently use my Expodisc and take a preset WB (which generally works great). However, occasionally the photos are a bit on the cool side. What’s the best way to get a bit of warmth back into the shot. I’ve tried messing with the hue settings, but I feel like I’m adding a color cast rather than warming it up. Any ideas? I’d hate to have to invest in the warming version of the Expodisc.

K

Ken-L

Shooting NEF/RAW is the best way. I also use an Expodisk. Among the advantages of NEF/RAW is the ability to tinker with the White Balance. I would rather take the shot with WB set with the Expodisk and no other adjustment of WB so I have a known baseline from which to work.

Sounds like all you need is apply a modest color balance adjustment in PS. I don't use NC, so don't remember if NC has a good equivalent to that -- it probably does. But if nothing else, you could probably adjust curves for the individual color channels for same result -- probably take some extra effort to find the "right" adjustment for your needs and save it for future reuse.

In NV, which I do use at times, you could do a touch of warming via the RGB sliders though it doesn't offer any flexibility for different adjustments to different parts of the exposure. But generally, I save this kind of stuff for PS instead as NV offers zero flexibility.

Hope that helps some...

_Man_

K

Ken-L

Nikon Capture can adjust the white balance any way you want.

Ken-L said:
Nikon Capture can adjust the white balance any way you want.

If you start with a preset, the only options you have is to essentially start over by either selecting a grey point or choosing a color temperature. One the other hand if you start with say daylight sunny, you can fine tune it. How can I fine tune when I start with a preset?

K

Ken-L

In Nikon Capture you first change the Recorded Value to a different WB in the New WB box, choose one that most approximates the Recorded Value. Then Fine Adjustment, Cooler - Warmer, or by specific K-temperature can be made.

If you are concerned that your pre-set, or recorded WB will not be used, you should consider not using the pre-set WB at all, since your intent is to alter it to your tastes anyway. The purpose of a pre-set WB is that you get the exact WB recorded at the time of the shot. You have quite a few options for White Balance at the time of the shot and these can be adjusted to your liking in Nikon Capture.

I don't know why the preset WB cannot be manipulated also in NC. That would be a useful option.

I like the look of using an 81A warming filter. Really warmes this up nicely. With an expodisk though you need to attach an 82A COOLING filter and then pre WB though it. The Expodisk will then pull the extra cooling out of the scene thereby warming it like an 81A. If you check around there are alot of Photogs that like to leave 81A filters on every lins ALL the time. Hope this helps.

K

Ken-L

I only use UV and Polarizing filters and have never used any others even when I only had 35mm.

With film I can see the need, but with digital, where the image can be processed so easily, I don't see it. I would rather start with a shot that had "the correct white balance" so it looked exactly as it did naturally, and then work with post-processing to get the warmth, coolness, or any other effect I wanted. Especially when using RAW (NEF), because making changes in WB is so easy.

Ken-L said:
If you are concerned that your pre-set, or recorded WB will not be used, you should consider not using the pre-set WB at all, since your intent is to alter it to your tastes anyway. The purpose of a pre-set WB is that you get the exact WB recorded at the time of the shot. You have quite a few options for White Balance at the time of the shot and these can be adjusted to your liking in Nikon Capture.

Good point. I've been using an Expodisc for the tricky mixed lighting situations, but occasionally it is a bit cool. In general, I like the Expodisc a lot, but I'm probably going to try the warming version.

Preston said:
I like the look of using an 81A warming filter. Really warmes this up nicely. With an expodisk though you need to attach an 82A COOLING filter and then pre WB though it. The Expodisk will then pull the extra cooling out of the scene thereby warming it like an 81A. If you check around there are alot of Photogs that like to leave 81A filters on every lins ALL the time. Hope this helps.

Good idea. Does it matter which side of the Expodisc you put the filter?

May I suggest looking at:

http://www.keh.com/shop/SHOWPRODUCT...amp;CID=70&SOID=N&curpic=0&dpsp=0

You will also need Nikon table of colour temperatures for different types of light and compebsations.

So far, the best WB in NC I can get is setting camera WB to dominant type of light and dialing compensation to the temperature indicated on colormeter. Or using colour-correction filters to compensate main WB setting to colormeter readings, if it is possible.

jklofft said:
Preston said:

Good idea. Does it matter which side of the Expodisc you put the filter?

Nope

Ken-L said:
I only use UV and Polarizing filters and have never used any others even when I only had 35mm.

With film I can see the need, but with digital, where the image can be processed so easily, I don't see it. I would rather start with a shot that had "the correct white balance" so it looked exactly as it did naturally, and then work with post-processing to get the warmth, coolness, or any other effect I wanted. Especially when using RAW (NEF), because making changes in WB is so easy.

I have tried the process of warming the image up in post & From my tests they don't look the same. I prefer it warmed up at capture. I also am not a post processing expert so mybe I am doing it wrong.

Iliah said:
May I suggest looking at:

http://www.keh.com/shop/SHOWPRODUCT...amp;CID=70&SOID=N&curpic=0&dpsp=0

You will also need Nikon table of colour temperatures for different types of light and compebsations.

So far, the best WB in NC I can get is setting camera WB to dominant type of light and dialing compensation to the temperature indicated on colormeter. Or using colour-correction filters to compensate main WB setting to colormeter readings, if it is possible.

Iliah,

The link brought me to an empty product page.

Jeff, it is already sold to somebody who is browsing this forum too :)

It was Minolta Colormeter II (not III, which is much more expensive because it can measure flash colour temperature)

K

Ken-L

Preston said:
Ken-L said:

I have tried the process of warming the image up in post & From my tests they don't look the same. I prefer it warmed up at capture. I also am not a post processing expert so maybe I am doing it wrong.

You are the final arbiter of what you like and how to get there. It may be that the result achieved with a warming filter can't be duplicated with post-processing.

Perhaps you will post a shot with and without the final filter configuration you end up with, and a link to the RAW file so some others can play with them to see if the same result can be achieved with PP instead of the filter.

Latest threads

Top Bottom