Warning about bios upgrade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by icetraxx, Jun 13, 2005.

1. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    Well I thought that it would be no problem flashing the bios of my new Tyan motherboard. I was wrong I went to reboot and nothing. I could hear the memory counting and hard drives spinning up but no video. The machine was working fine before the update and the flash program said everything was complete. So I now have an order for a replacement bios chip from www.biosman.com that will hopefully be here tomorrow.

Larry

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    after bios update did you try using the clear CMOS jumper. I have had this happen before after a flash. This has helped before.

If that doesn't work try removing the video card from comptuer and turn it on. After it beeps no video shutdown pc and reinstall the video card.

If you don't have any luck or want to troubleshoot further please feel free to post here or call me direct at 256-350-2979 and I'll help you best I can.

Good Luck,

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Oh, one more thing, that you probably have learned now. On bios flashes either camera or computer. I don't upgrade unless I know that I'm experiencing a problem that only a flash will help. Not that this will help you now. :)

Thanks,

4. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    You should consider yourself lucky. I messed up my reflash and the BIOS chip wasn't removable. Furthermore, I had RAID 0, so I didn't want to risk trying a different mobo. In the end I had to buy a duplicate mobo just to get good BIOS, then I bought a totally different one after in order to upgrade.

Ugh, what a headache.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Oh ... I can hardly wait until Macs run on intel chips too. This all seems like sooo much fun! :evil:

6. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    Patrick,
    Thanks for the advice. I did clear the cmos and pull the power and battery. Still nothing. I pull the video card this morning, booted, replaced and still nothing. According to Fedex my new bios will be here today. It should be a pop out the old chip and pop in the new one.
    The reason I flashed it is because I got one of the first ones out and the newest bios added some features and fixed some other issues. I was having a few weird memory issues that kept poping up from time to time.
    Thanks again for the help,
    Larry