WARNING !!!! Do not photograph a color run...heres why!!!

http://petapixel.com/2013/05/08/photographing-a-color-run-will-destroy-your-camera-gear-dont-do-it/

I have been asked to photograph color runs for two years straight, and have turned down every single one. This is the reason why. A friend did it last year, and after mulling it over he took his D40 and 18-55 kit lens rather than his good stuff... needless to say the cleaning cost more than the D40 was worth, and the lens was ruined. He still uses it as far as a i know but it does weird things lol.

Not even sealed lenses and bodies are safe, which i suspected but did not want to test my theory.

Cincinnati is hosting one soon and I foolishly didn't even think about this!
I'm new to photography and that was almost an expensive lesson.
Thanks for the link

Thanks.! We have one in Amsterdam 26th this month.Its the same stuff Hindi use to celebrate Holi . Basically its talcen powder (the stuff you put on your baby's but).
I remember from a few years back that my 2nd hand D1 died under suspicious conditions weeks after shooting Holi.For the color run i planned to seal my camera and lens in the plastic they use for sealing cargo pallets.Else a big plastic bag might do the same.Tape the opening round your hood,and use LV instead of your finder.A UV lens might give some protection to the lens, but it doesn't give 100% protection for the "funny" guys who think they give a special treat cause you have protection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I went to one and saw several people weaing painters respirator masks, now I know why. i may consider the cheap P&S, never thought of that, but I recently quit smoking and I cant see how this would be any different.

... but I recently quit smoking and I cant see how this would be any different.
Congratulations on quitting need to stop the cigars myself :smile:

Inhalation of even seemingly innocuous substances such as flour can have harmful effects to your lungs particularly. Flour for instance can cause problems to surface such as occupational asthma. I suspect most likely to occur due to long term exposure.

Even cornstarch (which I think is used in colour runs) along with some unidentified colourants may be not as safe as it seems to be http://www.turi.org/Our_Work/Green_..._Health_and_Safety_Information/Cornstarch-EHS

This is just my opinion and not based on any medical or scientific knowledge

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Congratulations on quitting need to stop the cigars myself :smile:

Inhalation of even seemingly innocuous substances such as flour can have harmful effects to your lungs particularly. Flour for instance can cause problems to surface such as occupational asthma. I suspect most likely to occur due to long term exposure.

Even cornstarch (which I think is used in colour runs) along with some unidentified colourants may be not as safe as it seems to be http://www.turi.org/Our_Work/Green_..._Health_and_Safety_Information/Cornstarch-EHS

This is just my opinion and not based on any medical or scientific knowledge
Ty... it has been tough and everyonce in a while i slip up but I have not bought a pack in3 weeks.

I really don't get these color runs. I love to run and run several road races per year, but this just seems stupid to me. Why would you want to run one of these races?

I've worked one. My camera was in one of those garbage bag type underwater housings. No issues. The company that hired me proved the housing and an air compressor for after the event to blow my gear.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom