Warning...Mac OS upgrade from 11.2 to 11.21 disaster - Success!!

Here's what happened: I have my Mac mini connected to an ASUS monitor via HDMI ports. This afternoon the system went into automatic upgrade from OS 11.2 to 11,21. A little while into the upgrade the system crashed. Monitor initially went wonky, and then system could not get a signal. Thought hmmm...maybe the monitor? Switched monitors, still no signal. Maybe the HDMI cables...still no signal what ever combination I tried. So I went to Staples store service, and learned that they can't do anything, suggested I call Apple.ca customer support. Talked with a customer support representative, and learned that a Mac mini is considered a desktop and doesn't qualify for shipping for repairs. Suggested I take it to a drop in authorized dealer...learned that the closest is in Winnipeg. 8-10 hours away depending on condition of the roads. Was kicked up to a supervisor, after repeating my info and what the problem is, she reiterated what I was told before. ie can't ship it for service take it in. But...set up a trouble shooting problem solving call for 6:30 EST...closer to 7 I called tech support wondering why the scheduled call for brain storming didn't happen. Support person didn't know, repeated personal information, and "what exactly is the problem" reply. Couldn't find a solution, kicked up to the current senior supervisor. Repeated my personal information, as well as " what exactly is the problem" Tried to boot using the 10 second hold of the power button - no signal. Suggested I try using an HDMI adapter to USB C port. Voila ...I now get a signal But!!!!!
The monitor which had fresh rates from 60 megahertz up to 144. now only tops out at 60!!!!! No options that I can see on how to get the rated higher refresh rates for this monitor back.
So I got a little frustrated with the support supervisor, and voiced my concern that desktops and Mac mini sales happen in Thunder Bay and District with no service or repair available. I wondered why the Mac mini doesn't qualify for shipping for service to Apple. She stated that "we can't guarantee that we will have an appropriate monitor for testing". So...I said if, I needed repair and my desktop or Mac mini I had shipped to the Apple store in Winnipeg, and if they couldn't repair it what happens next. She said well they would ship it to us....So It qualifies for shipping when sent by and authorizer ( so they may in fact have appropriate monitors at Apple) and not an individual purchaser?
Bottom line after frustrating hours talking with 4 reps, my system is working but not nearly as well as before the Mac OS upgrade. And HDMI to HDMI connection, doesn't work unless connected through a usb c adapter....but only at 60 megahertz

I've been on 11.2.1 on my 2019 MBP, for a few days (?) no problems.
Mac book pro and macair seem to be ok. My Mac mini will not support my Asus monitor via HDMI port on mini to HDMI port on monitor after upgrade to 11.2.1. With the USBC adapter for HDMI. monitor is supported but with not same refresh rate choices. as before. ie the monitor which did run at 144 gigahertz now can only run at 90 max.

I updated every Apple product I have owned ASAP until MacOS 11. For some reason I waited. I am going on a trip and want to problems so I will wait till I get home. Maybe I will still wait. 10.15 does all I want.
BTW, my iPhone, my iPads, Apple Watch, and Apple TV are all on the latest OS.

I updated every Apple product I have owned ASAP until MacOS 11. For some reason I waited. I am going on a trip and want to problems so I will wait till I get home. Maybe I will still wait. 10.15 does all I want.
BTW, my iPhone, my iPads, Apple Watch, and Apple TV are all on the latest OS.
I have big sur 11.2 no problem on 2 Mac books . Mac mini however is a problem

Mini with M1 is having problems with these updates, latest I've seen is the HDMI pink squares problem. I'm planning on replacing my IMac with one of these M1 Mini systems, but I'll wait awhile and see if this stuff - earlier problem was the bluetooth disconnects - gets sorted out. I'm also waiting for Adobe to do a PS M1 release that isn't Beta. I hope you get this resolved Bob.

Mini with M1 is having problems with these updates, latest I've seen is the HDMI pink squares problem. I'm planning on replacing my IMac with one of these M1 Mini systems, but I'll wait awhile and see if this stuff - earlier problem was the bluetooth disconnects - gets sorted out. I'm also waiting for Adobe to do a PS M1 release that isn't Beta. I hope you get this resolved Bob.
Thanks Rick. It was running so well before the upgrade!

I reinstalled Big Sur through the recovery process on the Mini Mac. After installation I noticed that the OS was 11.2.1 which is the newest upgrade that gave me the trouble.
When checking displays the maximum refresh rate listed was still 60. Then considering that the monitor was connected via usb c to HDMI adapter, I switched back to HDMI port to HDMI port adapter...Previously gave no signal no matter what I tried. NOW.....thankfully the full refresh rates were restored and I'm now happily enjoying the 144 capability of the monitor....Go figure!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I reinstalled Big Sur through the recovery process on the Mini Mac. After installation I noticed that the OS was 11.2.1 which is the newest upgrade that gave me the trouble.
When checking displays the maximum refresh rate listed was still 60. Then considering that the monitor was connected via usb c to HDMI adapter, I switched back to HDMI port to HDMI port adapter...Previously gave no signal no matter what I tried. NOW.....thankfully the full refresh rates were restored and I'm now happily enjoying the 144 capability of the monitor....Go figure!
Good news. Glad it worked.

Latest threads

Top Bottom