Warranty questions (what should I do?)

So I besides driving to the local sigma authorized warranty repair shop here in town I have never had to send in equipment. now that I am going full time with my photography in June I need my equipment to be cleaned, checked and adjusted to be more dependable.

I need some direction on what to do. I will list out my issues below, then list out what I have for warranty and it is my hope that someone can offer me some guidance on the best course of action to take.

I have:

• D800e (purchased on 5/3/2013 as refurb from Adorama with 90 day warranty (ending 8/1/2013) plus their VIP 1 year add on warranty (ends on 8/1/2014). Currently has dirty sensor, never been cleaned or adjusted)
  • D700 (Purchased used here on the Cafe, currently never been cleaned by me or checked/adjusted, has back/front focus shifts with 85 1.4G )
  • 85 1.4G (Purchased brand new from BHPhoto Feb 2013, should have nikon 5 year warranty. Currently wide open is soft, and when shooting focused at medium distance or at infinity distances, focus always front or back focuses on my subject very badly. Only can be really used for headshots or close portraits where I am close to my subjects. Does this on D700 and D800e body)

I would love to just send in all 3 items and say "clean everything, check everything, adjust what ever needs to be adjusted and make sure the 85 1.4G focuses properly on both D700 and D800 camera bodies" and then if I have any warranty on anything, please apply what can be covered under warranty and then I will pay the remaining balance or if nothing is covered under warranty then i will just pay out of pocket.

Is any of this possible? and if so how or where can I send my equipment to?

So sorry for the long winded post just trying to figure out what the heck to do. Thanks in advance for any help or advice anyone can offer.

West coast of FL (formerly Westchester County, NY)
if your equipment is Nikon, why would you consider driving to Sigma repair shop?

As far as Nikon warranty, to the best of my knowledge, a clean and adjust is not a warrantied "repair". Unless you have a specific problem, hard to imagine that Nikon will do the work for free. For what its worth, if I were sending in equipment for routine CLS, I would (and have) send my gear to Authorized Photo Service in Morton Grove, Illinois. Best in the business - hands down.

if your equipment is Nikon, why would you consider driving to Sigma repair shop?

As far as Nikon warranty, to the best of my knowledge, a clean and adjust is not a warrantied "repair". Unless you have a specific problem, hard to imagine that Nikon will do the work for free. For what its worth, if I were sending in equipment for routine CLS, I would (and have) send my gear to Authorized Photo Service in Morton Grove, Illinois. Best in the business - hands down.

Sorry Rick my apologies for the confusing info. I also have a sigma 35 1.4 lens and had to have it serviced once int he past and it was easy getting warranty service when they were only a drive away.

My specific problem is the focus shift issue with the Nikon 85 1.4G that appears with both D800e and D700 when focusing at medium to infinity as well as overall softness @ 1.4 compared to other images posted on the web with no sharpening applied.

My hopes were that whomeever I send it to is able to process Nikon warranties if they needed to and just perform CLS or whatever it is on my 2 bodies and then warranty my 85 1.4g lens for the focus issue AND if they happen to find an issue with the D800 that would be covered under warranty then apply that warranty instead of making me pay out of pocket.

Thanks for the reference to APS I need to call them I suppose and see what my options are.

West coast of FL (formerly Westchester County, NY)
I think you will find that APs enjoys the highest customer satisfaction reputation of any camera repair place on the planet. They know what they are doing, are fairly priced and turn the gear around in a hurry. For what its worth, I needed to have a tripod socket replaced on my D3S and I am an NPS member, but I sent it to APS because they have faster service. Replaced the socket and did a CLE for $150 or so. Had the camera back in my hands in 4 days and one of those days was travel time from IL to NY

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
So your D800e has warranty via Adorama through 8/2014. Contact Adorama about sending it in indicating that you are having focusing problems. Ask them to check it out, clean and adjust as necessary.

The D700 and 85mm (under warranty).....contact APS and ask if they can check them both out under the premise that the 85mm is under warranty and the D700 is not.

APS does not do Nikon warranty work, they may forward the gear to Nikon for you, but they do not do warranty work.

Thank you everyone for the help. I will contact APS this week and see what they have to say. I'm looking forward to having clean refreshed equipment.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom