Warranty Questions

Assume purchase of a used D3 in private sale.

1) What was Nikon's original warranty time period?
2) Does Nikon acknowledge of ownership transfer in private sales and continue warranty?
3) Assuming #2=yes what paper trail does Nikon require?
4) After private sale, does Nikon offer at fee, a checkup service to assure the camera is as new?
5) Does Nikon offer warranty service (at fee) after such a checkup?

Please don't respond with info about Mack's or other such non-mfgr warranty - my experience is totally negative in this regard...mfgr warranty's are weak enough. Please don't waste my time nor yours.

My thanks to anyone with helpful facts.

1) What was Nikon's original warranty time period?
2) Does Nikon acknowledge of ownership transfer in private sales and continue warranty?
3) Assuming #2=yes what paper trail does Nikon require?
4) After private sale, does Nikon offer at fee, a checkup service to assure the camera is as new?

Please don't respond with info about Mack's or other such non-mfgr warranty - my experience is totally negative in this regard...mfgr warranty's are weak enough. Please don't waste my time nor yours.

1. 1 yr

2. NO

3. N/A

4. If it is USA model Nikon(USA) will always inspect/service it for a fee

5. Not sure, but I don't think so.

Mack has a transferable warranty, but I'm not sure when it must be purchased.

#5 should be a yes if it's a USA model.

#5 should be a yes if it's a USA model.

If it is a Nikon USA product, Nikon will work on the camera for a fee. I don't think you can purchase a warranty from Nikon. I think a warranty only comes with the first sale of a new Nikon USA camera. It may be that Nikon will warranty its work for a certain period of time. I doubt if a checkup would generally "warranty" the camera.

Nikon USA has a 1 year warranty for the original purchaser, no it's not transferable. Nikon USA will service any Nikon USA goods for a price. Any repairs made by Nikon USA are warrantied for 90 days.

They will check it out but I can't imagine them saying it is "as new". They will say that it is working within spec's. If they have done any repairs there is a 90 day warranty on that work.

You can purchase extended service contracts for some of their products but you must do it before the original warranty period ends. Since you would be the second owner the original warranty is void at the time of re-sale and you can't purchase an ESC.

If you want a warranty Mack, or something similar, is what's available, like it or not.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom