Warranty

I have a guy telling me that as long as a lens is not registered, the warranty is basically transferable, even if he had warranty work done. He claims he owns a lens (or two, not sure) that was previously worked on by Nikon, then he bought it, and got more warranty work done.

I questioned him, assuming that once a lens has gotten warranty work, the serial number would be associated with an owner and therefore, when the new owner called and said "Hi I am Joe Blow and I need this lens fixed" they would say, "Sorry, Jane Bloe already submitted that lens."

Anyone with first hand experience getting warranty work done on a lens that already had warranty work done by the previous owner?

I have a guy telling me that as long as a lens is not registered, the warranty is basically transferable, even if he had warranty work done. He claims he owns a lens (or two, not sure) that was previously worked on by Nikon, then he bought it, and got more warranty work done.

I questioned him, assuming that once a lens has gotten warranty work, the serial number would be associated with an owner and therefore, when the new owner called and said "Hi I am Joe Blow and I need this lens fixed" they would say, "Sorry, Jane Bloe already submitted that lens."

Anyone with first hand experience getting warranty work done on a lens that already had warranty work done by the previous owner?
You are correct. Unless you are getting a super deal on the lens I would stay away as he might not be disclosing other known issues. Unless you are savng at least 40% of its used value it is a waste of time and effort. In this case buy new and get a 5 year warranty.

What about if a lens/camera has never been registered and u buy it off the original owner, can u now register it and have the warranty?

Or if someone registered it but never needed work done, can the warranty transfer to you in case you need warranty work done in the future?

I guess assuming the original owner gives u the bill of sale

I think it depends. I have first hand knowledge that Nikon has in the past honored warranty work. I bought the 50mm 1.4 G new (US dealer) when it was first announced and the focus motor went after a month. I sent it in to Nikon and they fixed it. About 6 months later I sold the lens at a discounted price, with full disclosure of the repair and I included a copy of the bill of sale. The buyer contacted me about a year later and said that the lens needed warranty work. They sent it back to Nikon in their name with the original bill of sale and Nikon repaired the lens under warranty for them.

Now this was a few years ago and I have been reading how Nikons's repair centers have been giving customers a hard time with warranty work recently, so I would be surprised if Nikon would still honor it today.

Thorsten

That story may well be true. Nikon is probably not that organized. If you send a lens in for warranty work, with original receipt (even in a different name), the front line employee who checks the lens into their system may not check or care if the lens was worked on before or if the names match. You cannot rely on that of course but I heard many reports that this happens. But either way it has nothing to do with registering or not registering the lens. That info is used only by Nikon marketing.

My experience has been that Nikon Melville will honor the warranty for a second owner if the sales receipt is provided (and of course the warranty period hasn't expired).

However, prior owner info obtained by registration or service could be in Nikon's computer database. Years ago, I bought an 80-200 AFS from Cafe member Paul Frye (Papafoxtrot). He was already the second owner. When I sent the lens in for some non-warranty work, Nikon shipped the lens back to the original owner! I don't know whether that original owner simply registered the lens, or had some service work performed, but his name and address were obviously associated with that lens in Nikon's database.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom