Critique Was 2016 a good year for you?

Wine Spectator says 2016 was a great year for Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. They rated the vintage a rare 98 out of 100 points.

Setup
The background was black foam core lit from the left and behind the subject by a flashlight. A small continuous-light lamp fitted with a diffusion sock on the left lit the cork and corkscrew. Two white reflectors, one above and one beneath the corkscrew, added bright reflections to it.

Mike 2020-02-12--002-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
I like the direction of the numbers though. I'd remove the wine stain and retake.
The wine stain stays because it's real.

Now it's you, not I, who has had too much wine. It's possible to keep the direction of the numbers in the proper direction simply by having the corkscrew enter the frame from the right. I could remove the wine stain without retaking the image. (Sheesh. These guys who make photos of fixed-wing birds just don't understand this stuff. :ROFLMAO: )

very disturbing on the confused cork :( .... I may give up drinking cause of this.
Instead of giving up drinking, sue me. Just beware that it's my wife who has all the money.

Last edited:
Thanks, Binnur!

Just change the burgundy color in photoshop and have a great image Mike.
I'm very tempted to leave it as is for the following reason: You're probably aware that handmade Persian rugs have an intentional, small mistake. In the context of the hundreds of photos I've made having to do with wine, this is a small mistake. Like all intentional mistakes in Persian rugs, very few people would catch the mistake in this image. As an example, when I asked my wife to look for it, she didn't see it. In the end it's just fun for me to observe whether people notice the mistake when not prompted to look for it.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom