1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Was I Seeing Things?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aman17, Aug 2, 2009.

1. aman17

aman17

Sep 27, 2006
    New Jersey,USA
    I was just checking B & H web site and just happened to wind up on the D-700 page and the price has gone from $2349 to $2649.95. Is there no end to this?Thats some big jump.I don't mind $50 or a$100 but thst just out right highway robbery.
    Thanks for listening,I just had to vent

2. Pianisimo

Pianisimo Guest

once you add it to your cart, the price drops...at least last time I checked

3. I tried that...

The body is 2,999.95 Sug. Retail.. When you add it to your cart.. it ends up being... 2,649.95.

Buy.com still has it for 2,397.95.. for now.

4. Nikon price's are soaring all over the world not just US

5. I bought mime from B&H a couple of months ago for the $2349 once I added it to the cart -- shame if it has gone up so much since then

6. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Bought mine around $2,856 …

7. Hi Arnie, I'm sitting back until the economy improves, we will see the prices drop soon.

8. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    Price increases like this never make sense to me, despite simple economic data explaining it.

Exec 1: "Economy's tanking and no one's buying our stuff like they used to. What do we do?"

Exec 2: "Raise our prices."

Exec 1: "Brilliant!"

I know, i know. It's never that simple, nor is it quite like how I described. It's just how it plays out to me, and I just felt like ripping it in my own way.

9. No it's never that simple. We always want a deal on an item, but at the end of the day Nikon needs to make a profit. If they don't do it by lowering prices and increasing volume, they'd have to increase prices and cut volume. From what I understand Nikon couldn't have increased volume even if they wanted to (at least not easily), and at the time they were in an extremely strong market position as they have won a fair amount of market share from the competitors. If any one of us was an exec I think we all would have voted to cut volume and increase prices because that would have been the logical thing to do. Of course the consumer in all of us just assumes we're getting ripped off :tongue:

I think people forget that the MAP for a D700 is $2999, which is what we are *technically* supposed to be paying for it...which we obviously are not. It's a shame though. I remember it was $2350-ish just a week ago. I was thinking about getting one hm.

10. Think yourself lucky, here in Australia the going rate is AU$3950 which converted is US$3304.00.

11. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    They just don't realise their chance :frown:

12. Actually Bill, the RRP of a D700 in Australia is $4600au and you can get a grey market item for around $3500.
    But don't bother doing the $$ conversion as when you living in the country of purchase, a person earns a dollar and spends a dollar.

To put this into true perspective is if a person in the US paid payed $2600, and say just for this exercise that equated to them working 100hrs.
    Well here in Australia you would have to work the equivalent of 178hrs to purchase the same item from an Authorized Nikon Dealer (not grey import)...
    So you see, you guys in the US do get looked after by Nikon even though you don't think you do...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.