Washington DC Metro System

Some selected photos from my adventures on Washington's Underground Metro system. Lots of mixed lighting situations but they make for interesting colors.

$10 Metro ride card, $600 VR lens, leg cramps (free) then someone walks into your frame and freezes while the train you've been waiting for comes in...priceless.
338263566_zh4wF-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Escalators
338280069_eN4J6-L.jpg

Riders
338265192_Zu4Ce-L.jpg

Chinatown station
338268177_9harf-L.jpg

Finding a spot to wait for the train after a long hot day touring the National Zoo.
338280833_axNdV-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Nick! I got pics of the monuments, too. I did spend a lot of time using the Metro system and I do like photographing in low light with the VR lens.

Nice shots Scott. Was there several years ago and was amazed how clean everything is.

The biker and train shot gets better everytime I look at it. It was one of those click moments. It's not your typical Washington photo that's for sure.

Oy, those escalators were something. I had to get that shot as part of the experience of riding the Metro.

Glad you enjoyed the little photo essay. The Metro made touring very easy to do and, yes, I was surprised at how clean it was. Now, if they could clean up some of the Mall statues near the Capitol, I'd be happy. Those are a bit embarrassing.

I've always wanted to take pictures of that escalator when I was in DC a couple of months ago... but I was in a hurry so didn't get a chance to.

Here's a pic I took when I had time:
original.gif

Spectacular, Felix! I didn't have much time as my family was with me. I can see it would be a lot of fun doing a photo series on this or any Metro. Very unique photographical challenges, good subjects and lots of activity.

I saw "$600 VR lens" in the first post and mis-read it. Thought he's hanging around down there with a 600mm VR! :eek:

:wink:

If you find me a $600 600mm VR lens, I'll buy it!!! :biggrin: I got the 18-200VR when it was scarce so paid over MSRP. Still, I've gotten so much use out of it I don't even think about it.

Any issues with the police? I always wonder when they will pop up when taking these type of photos.

No police at this stop but at the big stations I noticed them. I took photos everywhere on the Metro without being approached.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom