1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Washington DC Metro System

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by stphoto, Jul 25, 2008.

1. stphoto

stphoto

Feb 8, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
    Some selected photos from my adventures on Washington's Underground Metro system. Lots of mixed lighting situations but they make for interesting colors.

$10 Metro ride card, $600 VR lens, leg cramps (free) then someone walks into your frame and freezes while the train you've been waiting for comes in...priceless.
    338263566_zh4wF-L.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Escalators
    338280069_eN4J6-L.jpg

Riders
    338265192_Zu4Ce-L.jpg

Chinatown station
    338268177_9harf-L.jpg

Finding a spot to wait for the train after a long hot day touring the National Zoo.
    338280833_axNdV-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2008
  2. The first one is priceless indeed! And that escalator is right on the money--nosebleed! Nice job--as much as I like the monuments, it is ever so refreshing to see the "other" DC!

3. stphoto

stphoto

Feb 8, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks, Nick! I got pics of the monuments, too. I did spend a lot of time using the Metro system and I do like photographing in low light with the VR lens.

4. Gandalf

Gandalf

Nov 15, 2006
    Arkansas
    Great shots! I really like #1!

5. Pretty neat

Good stuff - love the china town station

6. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Nice shots Scott. Was there several years ago and was amazed how clean everything is.

7. Scott..

I think the addition of the biker in #1 did not hurt the pic at all. I actually like it the best of the 4.

Good series for the Metro.

Don

8. nice series
    i like the first one the most.... with your explanation.... priceless, as you say

i've been on that escalator... it's really something

9. chandler

chandler

Oct 21, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    first one is a winner...

10. stphoto

stphoto

Feb 8, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
    The biker and train shot gets better everytime I look at it. It was one of those click moments. It's not your typical Washington photo that's for sure.

Oy, those escalators were something. I had to get that shot as part of the experience of riding the Metro.

Glad you enjoyed the little photo essay. The Metro made touring very easy to do and, yes, I was surprised at how clean it was. Now, if they could clean up some of the Mall statues near the Capitol, I'd be happy. Those are a bit embarrassing.

11. 130meow

130meow

Apr 22, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I've always wanted to take pictures of that escalator when I was in DC a couple of months ago... but I was in a hurry so didn't get a chance to.

Here's a pic I took when I had time:
    original.gif

12. stphoto

stphoto

Feb 8, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
    Spectacular, Felix! I didn't have much time as my family was with me. I can see it would be a lot of fun doing a photo series on this or any Metro. Very unique photographical challenges, good subjects and lots of activity.

13. First one is absolutely superb. I live in this area and ride the metros all the time. :) 

14. stphoto

stphoto

Feb 8, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks, Amber!

15. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    These are great Kelly. I esp like the first!

16. Great shots. You captured the atmosphere very well. I'm a native and love our Metro.

17. I saw "$600 VR lens" in the first post and mis-read it. Thought he's hanging around down there with a 600mm VR! :eek: 

:wink:

18. stphoto

stphoto

Feb 8, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
    If you find me a $600 600mm VR lens, I'll buy it!!! :biggrin: I got the 18-200VR when it was scarce so paid over MSRP. Still, I've gotten so much use out of it I don't even think about it.

19. Razor524

Razor524

Oct 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Any issues with the police? I always wonder when they will pop up when taking these type of photos.

20. stphoto

stphoto

Feb 8, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
    No police at this stop but at the big stations I noticed them. I took photos everywhere on the Metro without being approached.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.