Washington DC Night Monuments

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by helmet155, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Went to DC for the holiday, back now and posting some photos...

Family time during the day and photo time during the night...

Please comment and critique, landscapes are not my specialty and really are difficult for me...

Nurse Memorial
    [​IMG]

Jefferson Memorial
    [​IMG]

Vietnam Veteran Memorial
    [​IMG]

Lincoln Memorial, Gettysburg Address
    [​IMG]

Some more pictures here in the gallery: Washington DC

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Washington is a special place to see and shoot for sure. Not easy either.

I like the Jefferson memorial alot. I wonder if you cropped the right side of image would work a tad better. I see you were across the pond. Long shot Well done..

Thank you for sharing a special place.

4. Lived near there at one time. Like your rendition of these monuments.

5. Paul: the WB settings were obtained in Capture by using the set grey point marquee tool...in camera I usually just leave to auto or if I have my pringles lid handy I use that, but then still it seems I use Capture (per RR's techniques) to set the WB either marquee or by the look of the spike in the mid shadows histogram...I agree with the blowouts and have other images that are less blown out, I will re-visit them, thank you for pointing them out on the Women's (Nurse) memorial...The Jefferson memorial was a let down for me, the pond was frozen, hence the crummy reflection :( Your comments are appreciated Paul, I have a lot to learn and thank you!

Thanks Gale, DC is neat and difficult to photograph...daylight hours = PEOPLE by the masses and I can't stand pictures with people in them (unless the people are the prime subject)

Gordon, thank you!!

6. I just had an afterthough after looking at your image of the Lincoln Memorial. As a result I tried a little different white balance and wanted to see what you thought.

original.

7. i started a response on this the other day and got distracted. the Vietnam Veteren memorial is a FANTASTIC version of that view. It can not look any better in my opinion.
    Dave

8. Gordon that is much better, much better!! What did you do? It also looks brighter - is that a result of the WB change?

Dave thanks, night photography is awesome, but developing an eye for it is difficult!

9. I went to Adjustments - Levels and selected the White eye dropper and clicked in the brightest spot on Gettysburg tablet. After that I clicked on Adjustments - Hue/Saturation and moved the cyan/red slider a little more towards cyan. I then went to Adjustments - Highlight/Shadow and adjusted the shadow area of the image to be lighter and the highlight area of the image to be slightly darker. I then sharpened it just a tad. It took a little messing around with the eye droppers to get it right (clicking in different spots). At first I started out with the Grey eye dropper but it left the image Green so I tried the White.