Washington DC photography

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by helmet155, Dec 16, 2005.

1. I am heading to Alexandria Virginia for the holidays, I was planning on photographing the standards: Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Vietnam Memorial, Arlington Cemetary patterns...are there any other places and/or vantage points I should put on the list? I was planning on doing a lot of evening photography to avoid the crowds, longer exposure type stuff of the monuments all lit up in their glory...

Other neat areas from some web research: the Cathedral, National Museum of American Indian...

I will travel with my D70, kit lens, maybe the 80-200 (??), and my tripod...

If you have any advice or input I surely would appreciate your time.

Happy Holidays,

Brett

2. if you get bored, I am 3 hrs away..... can see some cool countryside around me.

3. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Brett,

DC is one of the most photogenic and photographed cities in the world. The White House, the Capitol, Jefferson, Washington, Lincoln, Vietnam, World War II, all of the Smithsonian Museums and dozens of other museums, Arlington Cemetery, Iwo Jima... Really too many subjects to list here, and most within walking distance of the National Mall. I've lived in the area for 20 years and I still haven't run out of subjects to shoot.

Photograph the buildings at dawn, dusk and night. (Bring your tripod, I use mine constantly.) Trees and grass are dormant now and it is cold, bring warm clothing. Mid-day, move into the museums unless the sky is unusual or you get snow which will make for interesting pics. Old Town Alexandria is charming, it has many cobblestone streets and historic homes. You'll enjoy it.

Visit my site for some ideas...
    http://www.pbase.com/jboard/images_of_washington_dc

4. Brett,

You may not use a tripod on the Capitol grounds without a permit, and the same is true for the museums. Check all other places before you go.