Washington DC Zoo outing

Hello everyone, got back from the zoo this weekend and had a lot of fun! I haven't been in ages and I really wanted to try out an 800mm lens that my friend had given me as a gift. It's manual focus and I really enjoyed trying to "get a shot" while hand-holding.

tiger1j.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

tiger2s.jpg

lion1r.jpg

prariedog.jpg

oriole.jpg

Thanks dossy! I was surprised to get any shots from such a long focal length because I've never carried around a lens like that. It was interesting to use and I didn't really know anything about mirror lenses until my friend brought me one back from japan.

The prarie dogs were my girlfriends favorites too :)

Real Name
Kristin Rutkowski
I agree about the prairie dog - my favorite!
That lion picture is pretty cool. I'm impressed with hand holding an 800mm lens.

The lens isn't that large or heavy. Here's a shot of it mounted on my camera while we were roaming around.

zoo1e.jpg

I'm certain it doesn't give you the same quality as non-mirror type lenses but it really is a lot of fun and the results can be pretty OK for looking at a monitor or printing normal sizes I think.

The lens isn't that large or heavy. Here's a shot of it mounted on my camera while we were roaming around.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/5690/zoo1e.jpg

I'm certain it doesn't give you the same quality as non-mirror type lenses but it really is a lot of fun and the results can be pretty OK for looking at a monitor or printing normal sizes I think.

Very nice! The lens does seem to do really well, especially for its size. I do see donuts in the bokeh on the second shot, but they all look really nice and I would not worry about it. Just keep shooting and enjoying that new lens.

Very nice! The lens does seem to do really well, especially for its size. I do see donuts in the bokeh on the second shot, but they all look really nice and I would not worry about it. Just keep shooting and enjoying that new lens.

Thank you! I see the donuts and now it makes a lot more sense as to why they're there. The bokeh looks very weird in shots from this lens and i'm reading a bit more about why, pretty interesting. Nonetheless it's a lot of fun to shoot and thanks for the encouragement.

excellent shots in manual focus! that lion shot is my fav of the bunch. if you dont mind me asking, what lens is that?

excellent shots in manual focus! that lion shot is my fav of the bunch. if you dont mind me asking, what lens is that?

Thanks for the comment! It's a kenko 800 mm f/8 mirror lens. It's really pretty odd piece and I don't know much about it, but there are reviews out there! I don't think it's for everyone but it can be an interesting tool.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom