washington diary (large article)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by warren, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Spent approximately 10 days in our nations capitol visiting all the places and monuments that are part of our proud history. It was a pilgrimage of sorts for me and necessitated a departure from my preferred type of photography. All images with only 1 or 2 exceptions were shot with the 17-55 f2.8. I decided to not put my signature to any of these as I believe they belong to every American. It was a very moving experience for me and one that I will not forget for a long time to come.

#1 Arlington National Cemetery

This place holds a special place in the hearts of many Americans I was proud and honored to have visited it. The changing of the guard at the tomb of the Unknown Soldier was especially moving. The amphitheatre behind the tomb is a wonderful piece of architecture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last one is a shot of a framed picture in the visitor's gallery.
    [​IMG]

#2 White House
    Not much to see really. This is the one place were having a longer lens would have helped but I was pleased with what I was able to capture even though it was only at 55mm. Suprised the lawn was not greener.
    [​IMG]

#3 Lincoln Memorial
    Impressive monument to a great president, took literary hundreds of photo's, discovered 17mm was not wide enough. If planning to visit a sigma 10-20 or a nikkor 12-24 is a must have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#4 US Capitol
    Beautiful building can walk around the entire complex and views are incredible. Most scenic captures are from the Botanic Gardens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#4 Supreme Court
    Did not spent too much time here. Took several shoots and kinda liked this one.
    [​IMG]

#5 Jefferson Memorial ( from across the potomac ).
    This is the least accessible of the monuments if using public transportation as I was. I have no closeups of this great monument to one of my favorite presidents.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#6 George Washington Monument
    A real challenge to fully capture up close. Definately need a lens south of 12mm.
    [​IMG]

from the WWII Memorial grounds
    [​IMG]

#7 WWII Memorial

Impressive structure between the Lincoln Memorial and George Washington's Monuments again a wide angle lens is a must.

[​IMG]

#8 Vietnam Memorial
    This was the most stark, understated but deeply moving and inspiring of all the monuments that I visited. The countless names inscribed onto it definately give one pause.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#9 Smithsonian Castle
    The gardens behind the building make for very picturesque captures. Also has a rather expensive cafeteria in the building.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I of course visited all the Museums and must say the Holocaust Museum and the National American Indian Museums were particularly moving. Other places that need special mention are Georgetown and the National Cathedral which I was unable to fully capture even on the 17mm end of my 17-55. Definately need a sigma 10-20 when visiting.

Since I took over 3K images I no doubt have many other views of the same and more. If there any requests for particular places I am sure I have them and will gladly share them all. Washington DC is a photographic paradise and I look forward to another visit in the near future.

Thanks for looking.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nicely done

I was there years ago. A place no one ever forgets

In lew of a wider lens, I am suprised you did not take a few and stitch them together

Verticles or horizontals:>)))

3. Very nice series. I have been in DC many times, but it's been a few years.

I was wondering if you had any shots of the new Air Force Memorial? (Three spires not far from Arlington or the Pentagon.) I understand it's really dramatic, especially at night.

Thanks again for sharing these.

Cheers!!

Ken

4. Sorry that is one place I did not get to go. We tried to cram as much as possible into the 10 days we had but there are just too many places to visit.

5. That never even occurred to me. Bummer !!!!!

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    There is always next time

7. Thanks for sharing these. As a long-time resident of DC, I sort of stop seeing these places. It is nice to see them anew through a warm heart, a fresh set of eyes, and a really sharp lens. :smile:

You've inspired me to get out in the city and shoot some more. Maybe I'll also include more of the neighborhoods and the variety of people who call DC home. I did post one pic today from my back porch with my new Sigma 10-20 (DC, but not a monument to be sure! :biggrin:) I'll definitely take that lens on my tours of DC.

Thanks again for posting these. Next trip be sure to get to the Lincoln, Vietnam and mall area at night. the lighting is so amazing and powerful. come to think of it, maybe I'll do that and post some soon.

8. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    great photos warren! I've lived in the area for years but it's rare that I'm ever downtown. I agree with Keith above, it's great to see things through a fresh set of eyes. In a similar story, I was in Singapore on business for my last job and took a ton of photos at night of the downtown area and with their Christmas lights up and it was gorgeous. I showed it to some of my S'porian co-workers and they were amazed and had no idea how beautiful their own downtown area could be, lol. :smile:

9. Thanks, I look forward to any shots you are willing to share.

10. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    These images are wonderful. Thank you very much for sharing them. I especially enjoyed the WWII memorial and Arlington Tomb of the Unknowns images. Very well done.

11. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    great series Warren
    no birds in D.C.? :wink:

12. bugzie

bugzie Guest

beautifully exposed and composed shots!

i just love the exposure on many of these... and beautifully composed too. particularly the soft greys of the US capitol shots. the light is beautiful and soft... love the suffused quality.

13. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    Nice representation of D.C.

14. Well done.. very nice set.

15. Jackoc

Jackoc Guest

Warren, your pictures show the feeling that you have for our country. Thanks for taking us to DC.

16. So I read through and wondered: Of course the grass isn't green, it's MARCH! Then I continued reading and it was only when I saw the full bloom at the Botanic garden that I knew this was not a current trip to DC!!!!

Great shots Warren. I live in the Metro area and have yet to see the WWII memorial!!!

DC is a very very picturesque city and you captured the sights well... One of my favorites is the FDR memorial...

17. Me, too!!!! Actually, I took a look at the date the thread was started. Oh....

These are lovely photographs and I agree with the other DC-area people who have also commented: it's very nice to see these (to us) familiar sights through the eyes of a visitor. All too often we tend to take these sights for granted and forget just how meaningful they really are. I remember years ago when I was living in Crystal City (VA) and driving across the 14th St bridge each day to work at the Library of Congress...what I saw on that commute soon became just part of the scenery for me. My parents came to visit and we drove into town for dinner one evening shortly after they'd arrived. As my husband was driving across the bridge, my mother was gazing out one of the car windows exclaiming, "oh, there's the Washington Monument!" and my father was all but falling out another window saying, "wow, that's something -- is it the Jefferson Memorial?" My husband and I both snickered but then we realized that, yes, while for us this was the "same-old, same-old" that we saw every day, that really these are important, significant and beautiful reminders of American history. We who live in the DC area are very, very fortunate indeed to have all of these wonderful monuments around us.

18. Thanks. I had almost forgotten about this post.

19. I did go to the National Zoo as I recall but I only had the 17-55 lens.

20. Thanks Kaye.