Washington Ocean and Rain Forest

Well, I have wanted to visit second beach on the Washington Coast for a sunset picture for a long time. We finally got a chance two weeks ago after spending a few nights at the ocean and Lake Quinalt. These were all shot with the D2X. The last image was from last Sunday at Mt Rainier.

The sunset picture was just sent off to be printed large. It was altered from the one here. I did a little curves adjustment to bring a little more detail to the water. I wish we could have stayed a little longer after sunset in order to get the afterglow, but we had to hike back to the car before it got too dark out.

original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This one is from the beach before the sun went down. It is also at second beach.

View attachment 12900

Then we went to Lake Quinalt. These waterfalls were from a couple hikes we took.

View attachment 12901

View attachment 12902

This was from the waterfall just down the road from Paradise. This was taken last Sunday.
View attachment 12903

Thanks Frank. I was happy to have the first one turn out as that was why we went to the ocean and this beach. It was my first attempt at a sunset with the D2X so I was not sure how it would come out.

A

abek

Beautiful! The sunset shot with the sun shining through the opening in the rocks is outstanding. Great captures.

SRA

As I perused your stunning images my daughter, from over my shoulder, remarks... maybe you should ask these guys for advice.

Thanks all for your kind words. Scott, the best advise is to be surrounded by such beauty. Seeing that your from Utah, you must have some great locations as well. Washington is truly a beautiful spot, especially on those rare days when the sun shines!!!

Wonderful images, James! Yes, that first one should be hung on a wall, no doubt about it. Love the waterfall pics.

Very nice. My favorite are the two beach shots--especially the sunset. Can you tell me what settings you used on these two? I'm always trying to learn from other's great photos.

Thanks.

Thanks Sandi, Hans and Terri for your kind words.

Terri the settings for the first picture are as follows:
Date/Time 16-Jul-2005 09:03:19
Make Nikon
Model NIKON D2X
Flash Used No
Focal Length 28 mm
Exposure Time 1/90 sec
Aperture f/11
ISO Equivalent 100
Exposure Bias -1/3
White Balance (-1)
Metering Mode matrix (5)
JPEG Quality (6)
Exposure Program aperture priority (3)

And the second one is:
Date/Time 16-Jul-2005 07:46:46
Make Nikon
Model NIKON D2X
Flash Used No
Focal Length 21 mm
Exposure Time 1/320 sec
Aperture f/9
ISO Equivalent 100
Exposure Bias -1/3
White Balance
Metering Mode matrix (5)
JPEG Quality (6)
Exposure Program aperture priority (3)

Jim -

Excellent shots, all. In addition to a curves adjustment, I probably would have to agree with Justin that the horizon appears to be tilted (which it may not have been given where you were standing, but it appears that way) in the first one.

You certainly live in a wonderfully scenic area! Glad you shared these.

Nice series as the others have mentioned it seems you are suffering from the same aliment I have. You sure do live in a beautiful area thanks for sharing

Latest threads

Top Bottom