Washington State Eagle on Skagit River

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Dec 16, 2005.

1. I had to make a trip to Bellingham to see my ailing mother and decided to take a trip up the Skagit on my way. It was a cold but beautiful morning. I was rewarded with no people at all, no fisherman to scare the eagles and lots of eagles. I would say I saw a minimum of 80 eagles and most likely it was double that. One tree had over 15 in it. Large groups gathered by the river to feed on the dead salmon. I took lots of pictures and finally got some nice ones. I did not have time to process them as I got home late last night. As many of you know I have wanted good flight shots for some time now. I finally got some real keepers. I will post one, this had little if any post production as I needed to get to bed. I will post more later tonight when I get home from work.

original.

2. Beautiful shot, Jim! I share your excitement!!

3. Thanks Kevin. These are such majestic birds, and to see so many of them in such a beautiful setting was so cool. I can't wait to get home and process them. Here in Washington State we usually do not see them when the sun is out. This week we have great weather and so we need to take advantage of it as it will soon be back to rain and clouds.

4. I can't imagine seeing that many! I've managed to see 2 (yes, that's as in one pair) at Viera. I think Harry really has them trained....or they're stuffed. :wink:

Anxious to see more, Jim!

5. Brilliant image!

I've only seen two, in captive...

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    What a beautiful image.
    Good going
    Sorry to hear your Mom is ailing. Prayers with her.

7. Thanks Brett, we are lucky to have so many here now.

8. Thanks so much Gale. It has been a tough year for both my parents but then they are both in their late 80's so it is to be expected I guess.

9. lovely image James! can not wait to see more. I am going after them tommorrow myself.
    Dave

10. Good shot Jim. Can't wait to see more.

Makes me want to get up there all the more. Perhaps when the Christmas rush here slows down.

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Beautiful shot Jim. Like Kevin, I feel lucky to see one or two Eagles a few times a year. I can't imagine seeing 80 at one time. Talk about a target rich environment. :wink:

Sorry your mom is not doing well.

12. "Soar like an Eagle" comes to mind looking at this picture - Beautiful!
    I get excited when I see one at a local animal shelter. What a thrill it must be to encounter these in nature.

13. JWEAR

JWEAR

Jun 26, 2005
    LA
    now that's what I call a bif --great shot and no cloning :biggrin: that is really a clean shot great work .this bird is on my list JEFF

14. Excellant shot! Hopefully I get there one day.

Here's probably the same eagle I shot on the Skagit a week or so ago. baldy3c.

15. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Great shot, Jim! My wife and I drove up the Skagit as far as the bridge across the river last summer. Beautiful day, beautiful scenery but no eagles - until I had my gear packed in the car and an eagle flew downstream directly over us into the setting sun. Oh well..... When are the prime eagle months for the Skagit?

Gordon

16. What a beauty, Mr Ricco!!

17. Thanks Dave. I hope you have a great day and get lots of eagle pictures.

18. Ron, you will really like the Skagit with your new lens. This is a great place to use it as you need all the reach you can get.

19. Thanks Frank. It was a good and bad day. It was nice to get out and enjoy the beauty before being saddened to see my mother suffering. Thanks for your thoughts. Bill Dewey and I are headed back there in the morning. I hope to do as well as yesterday. I may even have a chance to try your M settings.

20. Thanks Frits. You are right. The eagles were doing lots of soaring yesterday.