Wasp with food

Funny, I never thought about how wasps get their food, but now I know
Amazing thing that they can actually fly with such a catch, though for only a short distances, lucky for me :smile:
Thanks for watching
Nico

9221481115_a842ef72f2_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

wasp with food_06 07 13_6532_edited-2.jpg by Nicolaas C M, on Flickr

I was affraid of this
And I hoped it would be a wasp, ,o)
But then you come along and correct me,, GREAT William, I love it.

A Little doubt I still have, as I believe, (but not know) that wasps stick with their tails, and this one seems to have a nasty one.

Main thing is, we are learning from doing and mostly from making mistakes. ,o)
Thank you so much for the links and comments William
Much appreciated
Nico

Just look at the antenna, Nico, if nothing else... All flies have those stubby short
antenna... Second is the eyes, very different between flies and bees/wasps/hornets...

Nature made them this way to fool birds and other enemies to keep them from getting
eaten so don't feel bad... :wink:

Just look at the antenna, Nico, if nothing else... All flies have those stubby short
antenna... Second is the eyes, very different between flies and bees/wasps/hornets...

Nature made them this way to fool birds and other enemies to keep them from getting
eaten so don't feel bad... :wink:

I am not feeling bad at all William.
Thank you so much for your efforts, I am learning and willing to learn much more.:smile:

It is great to have someone like you to teach and are willing to put an effort in novices like me.

In the end, I respect we all have to eat, and dont judge how we do it if evolution made us the way we are.:Love:

Thanks, and have a good weekend
Nico

Ahhhh. Thank you so much for the post. This is so informative William. I learned something new today! For some reason, I don't see that many mimicking flies down here in Florida, then again I couldn't tell the difference before : )

Ahhhh. Thank you so much for the post. This is so informative William. I learned something new today! For some reason, I don't see that many mimicking flies down here in Florida, then again I couldn't tell the difference before : )

Now that you have a clue to the differences you'll probably be surprised at just
how many seemingly "bees" are actually "flies"... :wink:

Nice image, perhaps its a Robber Fly, predatory and fast flier.

Nice image, perhaps its a Robber Fly, predatory and fast flier.

Thanks Jeff, I robberfly has been mentioned and is accepted :smile:
But the robber was very slow with his catch, it could not fly more that a couple meter, hence my capture.
Thanks
Nico

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom