Wasps

We've got some volunteer flowers in our garden this year that the wasps seem to love. Unfortunately, most of the time it's too breezy to be able to shoot them, and in the early morning and evening when it's still enough, the wasps aren't around. Today it was fairly calm, so I tried my hand at shooting a few. I got a few keepers. Here are a couple of example images (click each image to see a larger version on pbase with EXIF data:

Both were shot with my D200, Tamron SP 90 macro lens, and lit with my SB-800 fired through a pop-up diffuser

That's a very cool diffuser for cheap on eBay, but how did you get soooo close to these wasps without them moving?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Getting close to wasps.

That's a very cool diffuser for cheap on eBay, but how did you get soooo close to these wasps without them moving?
fatimask,

I've found that bugs on flowers tend to be pretty focused on feeding, and not pay that much attention to me with my camera. The diffuser on the end of the lens makes the camera a bit big, so I have trouble poking the end of the lens in among the flowers. (The diffuser tends to bump into other flowers.) I try to find flowers that are sticking up. That also helps me get an uncluttered background.

With my Tamron 90 the working distance is about 6 inches at closest focus. If I add extension tubes it's even smaller, but these were shot with just the Tamron.

I've shot bees and wasps for a long time, and have never been stung doing it. I got stung by yellow-jackets last summer while I was just walking in my yard. Those are some foul-tempered insects.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
As usual, awesome shots, and no tubes?? I will be buying that diffuser also Duncan.

Tom,

I didn't use the tubes for this series. I find tubes pretty tricky to work with.

Be sure to post some samples once you get one of those diffusers. I bet you like it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom