Watch what you wish for

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by staceylynn, Sep 6, 2008.

1. So I haven't been around much lately. Actually, I've been around, just too tired/busy to post lately.

Some of you may remember the thread I started a couple of months ago called The life you lead and the life you thought you'd lead. After reading everyone's touching stories, some part of me inside was a little overcast. I felt like I had hardly accomplished anything and I felt a bit ashamed.

I lost my father/best friend last year and this year has been so hard. While it's been a whirlwind, I have done more in the past year with my photography career than I have in the past 10 years combined, in regards to my career. I have always had a huge heart for animals and once worked at a vet, which I loved.

Anyway, I was talking to my boyfriend and was a bit down because of finances and no one wanting to pay for photography, as I offer mine as a service. I mentioned wanted to get another job at the vet, perhaps part time, as I'd feel a lot more useful and it would also take my mind off things while I'd otherwise be sitting around the house, trying to make my photography business work.

That was a few months ago and while the finances never got better, I sort of took charge of my photography, yet still having a hard time in gaining clients.

Long story short, I took our kitten to be spayed a few months back and had a lovely conversation with the lady working the front desk while I was waiting. I was looking around online the other day and noticed they were hiring. I went and put in an application and they hired me pretty much on the spot.

What began as a part-time thing turned into a full time, 10 hour a day job the first day I worked.

Soo, that's where I've been. I have purchased new promotion material so I can still work on building my photography career when I'm not working at the vet, but I feel my father was listening to my desperation to feel useful and like I'm helping someone (people and/or animals) and sort of led this job to me.

Sorry for the long rambling - I just feel refreshed and I can't wait to start posting new photos again, soon. Time here is a little shorter, but I am still reading all of the posts and now, with a little less burden on my heart, as I am one of "those" people who helps for the greater good.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Great news Stacey.

Don

3. Good News Stacy, Sorry to hear about the loss of your Father. This is a defining momet in a persons life, it was for me. Hope the Photography thing kicks in for you. I have seen some of your work, and feel it will open doors for you soon. Good luck in the future.
    Tim

4. yendikeno

yendikeno

Mar 31, 2008
    CA
    Good for you, Stacey. I wish you the very best with your photography, and what appears to be a job that will be very rewarding to you.

5. Life is like a box of chocolates...Things usually work out in the end for people that apply themselves. Glad to hear you're doing better..........

Cheers

Ted:smile:

6. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Stacy, One of the hardest things in life is doing somthing that you love and getting paid for it. Sounds like you have the best of both worlds, getting to work with animals and Photography!! Congrats and best wishes with both.

7. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    I wish you the very best. Take care.

8. I love these "take charge of my own life" stories!!! Well done Stacey!!!!

9. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Good going Stacey. Hope you continue to enjoy working with the animals and the very best of luck with your photography career as well.

10. Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2008
  11. Congratulations! My rule #1 is "if you don't ask for it you'll never get it..no one can read your mind." Rules #2 and #3 are for later on.

12. Thank you so much, everyone. I just think this job was meant for me to have right now to take some of the strain and headache off recent events. Hopefully I can still devote enough time to my photography business to get it rolling again. I'm sure once my promo material comes in, it will pick up again.

I'm just grateful to have a job I love, and that it seems like someone was listening to my pleas.

13. I am very happy for you Stacy. Your new job sounds like a great match and will build you self esteem and confidence. Congratulations to you on many levels and thanks for caring about our furry friends.

14. Glad that things are working out for you Stacy- hopefully the change of scenery will give you the inspiration to keep pushing with your photography. The stuff that you post here is certainly quality work- maybe just one lucky break?!? Good luck!

15. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    Sounds like you found yet another outlet for photos - pet photos! Can you offer your services at the vet office too? That way you can take advantage of both your talents. Congrats on the new job. Glad you are enjoying it.

16. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm so happy for you! Congratulations my friend, I'm sure you'll find some time for your wonderful skills for photography as well.

17. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Great to hear your life is bringing your more meaning now. It's so wonderful how we receive so much when we give so much.

I admire your work with animals. They need our help and I'm glad they have you to tend to them.

18. Missed your post Stacy, very sorry to hear of your loss, I can understand as I lost my Friend last year father a bad stroke 3 years ago and mother Alzheimer's 1 year ago. Both parents while alive are not well my mother has no ability to do anything, or recognize who I am, and continues to get worse.

On the good side good your back and I wanted to be a vet and once vol entered at a nature rehab center.

Hope all works out and we will see you around more.

Take care.

Darrell

19. stacey,
    sorry that i just saw this thread
    i'm so happy that you posted this thread
    and i do feel that your dad was watching over you when you saw that the vet was hiring

i'm happy that things are working out for you the way they are, at this moment
    over time.... things will settle down and you'll see that your photography will take flight once more

take care of yourself
    get some rest when you can

thanks for the thread

20. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Great news Stacy.
    Hey, set up a studio in the office. Give the vet 10% :)