Water Drop Refractions

Had a go at some refractions this morning. Next time I think I'll try natural light and a tripod. I am still pretty happy with today's results though.

p1699592773-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p1858636226-5.jpg

p1849994695-5.jpg

p1659610028-5.jpg

5 You can see the craziness of the flash reflections in this shot
p1818881113-5.jpg

p1831374236-5.jpg

p1778684457-5.jpg

8 Not a refraction, but water droplets nonetheless
p1825744210-5.jpg

Keep them coming Nate, they are all beauty´s
May I ask if you used sugar disolved water or other ?
Thank you for sharing
Nico

Thanks everybody. These have opened up a new challenge for me with lighting. It has been a long time since I have worked so hard to get decent shots. I am enjoying the experimenting though....snapped off over 800 shots this morning playing around with more refractions (and a few bugs :) )

Nico - I am using sugar water in a spray bottle. I might try to get some distilled water and use an eye dropper. In the back of my mind I would think a mineral-less distilled water would be clearer and give better reflections than tap water diluted with sugar. I may be wrong though and maybe there's no difference.

Very interesting shots. Different to be sure and quite effective.

wonder if you will be able to replicate that style using natural light. I would think that the flash makes it work, but I would love to hear (and see) what happens when you try it.

Played a bit this morning with natural light and couldn't get it to work great.....it does work, but wind and movement are absolute killers. I spent about 2 hours today shooting with flash and trying to figure out how to keep from getting harsh flash reflections in the drops. I found that if I can have the flash partially blocked by having a bit of foilage between the flash head and the water drop then my reflections of the flash are minimized or eliminated completely. I will post some results from today once I finish editing them but I seem to be getting better already so that's promising.

wow, these are great. now i have to learn to do that. just what i need ,something else to figure out.

Latest threads

Top Bottom