Water Gardens or ponds anyone ???

Well after wanting one for many yrs I finally broke down this year and built a small pond. I did not really have the room or funds to build one as large as I would like (still too large for the better half :wink: ) but it turned out half decent for the first version. The only thing is either I am so old or the sound of running water will really put you to sleep because if I'm not careful I find myself dozing off on the patio furniture. Just curiuos how many others here are into this sort of thing.

Tom

watergarden.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

pondfromdeck.jpg

Very Nice Tom.
I have had a couple of garden ponds I have made in my time though nothing quite as large as yours. I always found it therapeutic to feed the goldfish etc or play around with differing effects from the fountain or waterfalls of an evening after a hard day at the office.

Cheers
Rob

Last summer I took the backhoe and started digging a heron feeder.

pond_sm.JPG

My wife looked on craigslist and found a 30'X60' roll of Firestone Pondgard which was just the right size.

While moving dirt I uncovered a Volkswagen sized rock... you can see the top of it in the picture. Right now I'm in the process of making and adjoining pond around the rock. We have stocked it with about 750 feeder goldfish altogether... and at least half have flown away.

I find that I really like the fish more than the herons or raccoons... and it would be nice to have some koi like you have in your pond... but I don't think they would stay put. We've even had an osprey in the neighborhood.

I will be making one later this year coming down my hillside in the side yard... I'll use lots of rock found around here to make it look really natural, and incorporate several waterfalls. My father-in-law is a landscaper in these parts, so I have had opportunity working for him quite a bit to see how it's all done. :smile: Yours looks nice. I like having the sound of flowing water around. It's very soothing.

Thanks Rob and Shaun

Ron very nice pond and great view to boot. If I had that much space and a backhoe I could be dangerous :biggrin:. Knock on wood so far I have not had any fish lost to predators. I am hoping my pond is so small no self-respecting heron would stop by.

Tom

I am hoping my pond is so small no self-respecting heron would stop by.

Tom... I don't think it works that way. The smaller the bucket the easier it is for them to get the vittles... and they seem to know it.

Last fall I rescued 10 goldfish of unusual color out of the pond to keep them away from the herons in an inside tank. I put them in a five gallon bucket while I got their new home ready. When I came back out a heron was standing by the bucket. I ran towards the bucket yelling and waving my arms like a madman and he didn't budge until I was within 15'... and at that he only side step a short distance away.

The bucket was empty.

Latest threads

Top Bottom