Water Lilies at Lily Pons

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by MParker, Jul 30, 2008.

1. I wanted to try some in camera softening by using a D200 and my Sigma APO 400/5.6 Telemacro as it has a nice close focus distance for a lens this long. In the heat last Saturday morning I set one D200 body to 800 ISO and left the 400 wide open where it is slightly soft in some circumstances. The camera tends to underexpose a little so I didn't make any adjustments for these shots. These two lilies were taken as annotated in the tech data below and then processed normally in CS3 except that I oversharpened them just a very little bit. I especially like the softness and the color saturation in the first one. The color of the second lily may be a little delicate for the same technique to be effective. It's not nearly as pleasing. C&C welcomed.

Both images taken with D200 and Sigma 400/5.6 Telemacro on a Gitzo 1327 (no column) and Kirk BH-1 - 400mm, f5.6, 1/5000th, ISO 800.

View attachment 230619

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2008
  2. dhudspith

dhudspith

Jan 7, 2006
    North Texas
    Hi Mike - My eyes see this a bit differently then you do. In the first image, it looks pretty sharp in the front where the petals meet the water and then a bit more soft going back from that. Also, there is a fair amount of noise in the shadow in the middle, which may be a result of the sharpening you mentioned. For me, I'd like the focal plane to cut through the center of the lily with the foreground and background fading to soft. But to each his own...

On the second image, I really like the soft colors. Have you tried shooting these in the shade to get rid of the shadows? It may seem counter intuitive, but you can still get colors to 'pop' in the shade. Bright sun has the effect of washing out an image as well as presenting the problem of shadows to deal with.

3. Thanks Dave -
    I appreciate the time it took you to write this and appreciate the comments.

I agree that the sharpness in the front of the first lily is present but compared to my Sigma 150/2.8 this is a soft iamge and at 800 ISO I expected some noise. Still, I like the "look" overall and I think the shadow noise would be less present on a print and I agree that, with less sharpening, it can be reduced.

4. These are nice shots but they sure look noisy to me but then again what do I know...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.