Water Lilies at Longwood.....

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by DAVE VAN, Sep 11, 2005.

1. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Today my family and I spent a few hours in the afternoon at Longwood Gardens. This is the peak time for the water gardens. I have to say that the lilies are some of my favorite flowers. I have developed a bad case of tendonitis in my left arm so I used my D50 with the 18-70 kit lens and my old 70-210f/4./5.6 with a polarizer. I just wasn't up to lugging around my D2h. I was curious how the 70-210 would work on the D50 as I have had mixed resultd on my D2h.
    Here are a few samples of the colors of summer.

D50 with Nikkor 18-70DX

49115447.DSC_0624.

D50 with Nikkor 70-210f/4./5.6 with polarizer

49115482.DSC_0628.

49115485.DSC_0631.

49115487.DSC_0636.

49120375.DSC_0643.

It is the start of the Monarch Butterfly migration so we saw quite a few of them.
    49115429.DSC_0580.

All comments are appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2005
  2. Amazing photos. That first one made me jump.

Do you use a tripod?

Speaking of Moorestown - ever hear of the Moorestown Friend's School?

3. Hi Dave,

We were headed to Longwood Gardens but decided to visit the Strasburg Railroad and PA Railroad Museum. Sorry we missed you. :frown: I sure I would have recognized a fellow Cafe member. :biggrin: We visit Longwood a few times a year because my in-laws live in Lawnside, NJ about 15 minutes from Moorestown. BTW, were you able to stay for the barbeque and fireworks display on Saturday evening?

Anyway, your water lilies are awesome. Makes me wish we had visited Longwood instead. :biggrin:

4. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    My son is presently attending Orchard Friends School in Moorestown. He absolutely loves it there. Unfortunatly we don't know if he will be able to stay there. We are presently fighting so that he will be able to stay.
    Thanks for the commets on the photos. They were all taken handheld. Longwood does not allow tripods but monopods are ok. I did use a fill flash on the first photo.

5. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the comments Crystall. We haven't been o Longwood in a few months. Today was so nice we thought we would check it out. We are going to Strasburg at the end of October. It is also another one of our favorite places. I'm sorry I missed out on the barbecue and fireworks. We did have fireworks in Moorestown last night and the kids had a lot of fun watching them. Next time you are going let me know and maybe we can hookup.

6. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    One more...................

Here is another one from yesterday. I was loosing the light in this one so it lacks the punch of the other ones.

49115490.DSC_0641.

7. They are all stunning pictures, but the first two are outstanding by the color and sharpness, did you use a tripod?

8. Hi Dave,

Sounds like a plan to me! :biggrin: BTW, are there any other places like an arboretum, conservatory, or botanic garden in your area? We usually trek up to Lawnside every other month. It would be great if I could visit a few floral venues in Southern NJ. I have also heard that there is an iris farm in Northern NJ. Sounds like a road trip next Spring! :biggrin:

9. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks Gilles. They were all taken handheld.

10. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Hi Crystall, I don't know anything about the iris farm. There are many places in this area. Winterthur and the Hagley Museum are both close to Longwood. many photo ops to be had at both places. In Hamilton NJ near Trenton is the Grounds For Sculpture which has to be seen to be believed! :eek:

11. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    really like the second & third . Sharp

12. Thank you Dave.