Water Lily in Black Water

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Tosh, Aug 7, 2007.

1. I visited the nearby Sculpture Gardens at Pepsico HQ today with Giorgio (GoGo).
    The sun was far too bright for any good sculpture captures, but a Japanese lily pond was partly shaded and provided some nice subjects. The water is naturally black via stones or a pond liner. Here's my first processed flower shot.

MkIII, 70-200 4 IS at 200mm, ISO 320, 1/500 at f/8, handheld. Next time I'll know to bring a macro lens.

[​IMG]

2. hardwork

hardwork

Nov 4, 2006
    Lynnwood Wash
    very nice

3. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Great shot Glenn!

4. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    Hi Tosh

Man,
    So that is what you were doing! Very nice.
    [​IMG]
    I messed up the exp a bit and could not get close enough, but i got this too.
    [​IMG]
    Really nice place that you introduced me to, you really know the county well!

5. Glenn,

The 70-200 captured the stamen detail nicely (that's always my favorite part). I must be blind, I didn't notice the water reflection!! Excellent capture Glenn!! Now you need to dazzle us with a few macros!!

Giorgio,

I like the second photo because of the reflection of the lily in the water (I mentioned the same thing to Glenn, though I know he probably couldn't have managed the reflection from his angle). Next time you guys will have to carry macro lenses to nicely detailed closeup...or just plan on getting wet!! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2007
  6. sreeves31

sreeves31

Jun 25, 2007
    Mason, OH
    Glenn-

A spectacular flower, beautifully exposed. I am working hard on my closeup technique and shots like this show me how far I have to go. On the constructive criticism side the OOF area in the left upper corner of the frame tends to draw the eye away from the subject and might benefit from a crop. Great photo, in any case.

7. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    last one I promise

[​IMG]

8. Giorgio,

Incredible detail on this one! Can you post a larger image?

9. Hardwork, Mark, Crystal & Scott,

Thanks.

Scott,

I will look into cropping to see what that brings.
    I do see how the cloud reflection in the upper left is a bit distracting.

Crystal,

Just an fyi. Giorgio was one with the Earth to get that reflection shot. There are limits to how far I will go for my photography. :smile:

I had to shoot a play this evening, but hope to review and PP some more flower shots tomorrow. Maybe I managed to catch a few reflections rather than just shadows.

10. Great shots guys. I love the first one Glenn and your 2d and 3rd Giorgio. Sorry I couldn't make it but the day job comes first! Not one macro lens between the two of you???

11. Aww, Glenn, what's a little water amongst friends??!! LOL!! Great shot, I should have studied it a little more before I posted my comment. I haven't had a chance to visit Lilypons or Longwood this year. I have to make sure I find a few water lilies while I am on vacation...guess I might have to get wet too!! :wink:

12. Another waterlily from today.

[​IMG]

MkIII, 70-200 4 IS at 135mm, ISO 320, 1/400, handheld.

The amount of detail in the images from this non-macro zoom impresses me.
    Here's a 100% crop.

[​IMG]

13. Crystal,

Here's a more colorful and visible reflection.

[​IMG]
    Mk III, 70-200 4 IS at 89mm, ISO 320, 1/1250 at f/6.3, handheld.

Keep telling me what to look for, and you'll educate and turn me into a macrophotographer yet. :smile:

14. Awesome shots folks these last few really jump out at me..

15. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Sure looks great on my desktop!

You guys don't need a macro so don't bother. These are beauties!

16. Glen, I love your images, very sharp, beautifu land the purple one really is my favourite,

Pam

17. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    WoW

Amazing images Glenn!
    Amazing!

18. Tom, Gaye and Pam,

Thanks for your kind words.

Giorgio,

That last shot is the one you found and made me get down on my belly to shoot. I wasn't all that thankful at the time, but am now. Keep on teaching, Sensei! :smile:

19. These are all gorgeous. The black background really makes the colors jump.

I, for one, am glad you didn't have a macro lens. I can't see that a closeup could possibly compare with that first shot posted by Glenn. To each his own!

20. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Fantastic!!!