Water Lily in the wild :>)))

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Gale, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Was awful windy this day. Lilies moving all over the place..

But got the bee...lol

2. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Gale -

The flower is gorgeous, and your capture is beautiful. Just the right colors and composition. Makes the image kink of dreamy. And the bee makes the whole thing more interesting.

One question and maybe nit - One of the reasons the image looks dreamy is the fact that it is soft. If this was intentional, IMO it worked. But if you were looking for sharpness something is a bit off - maybe the wind, slightly out of focus, or not sharpened enough. It would be great to know what lens you used, exposure settings, etc.

Gordon

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gordon 80-400 and yes it is soft from the windy condition.

I have a bunch more that look like a mirror was used. From another day. Just picked this one first. lolol

Am still working on them. Don't know if they will ever get posted though

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Altho now that I think about it, I ran one of daves actions on it and it could have softened it a bit also.

Even with the 400 is was a way bit out there, for such a small item.

5. I liek it very surrela looking good job there kido.. T-minus...and counting

6. neat......love the reflection !!

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Oh Mike, I am so apprehensive for this shoot of the shuttle now. Weather, weather, weather.......

Can't even go on a pre shoot really. Did that with the 70-200.. Not enough length.

Glad I have the 400 back.

Thank you for the kind words.

It is a bit soft. So think I will turn this into a bit of artsy fartsy. Hate to dump it.

Thank goodness I have some really good ones. Haven't really processed them yet.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank you very much Mike.

I am really having a prob with these. They open up right about 10 in the morning. This time in Florida at 10 am is really harsh light.

Then I am not there when light might be better.

I do have a couple really good ones though in my arsenal.

9. Don't dump it.....turn it into a watercolor. The colors in it are fabulous and the composition is perfect. That's the first thing I though of when I saw it was how good of a watercolor it would be! :) I'd almost be tempted to paint it myself, but darn, I'm outta paper! ;)

10. Hi Gale,

I'm at the same place as Kevin. This picture will be good in watercolors. Excellent composition. :!:

If you don't already have some PS actions for conversion to watercolor painting, you can find them in the followinf link. ActionCentral have others interesting free PS plugins.

http://www.atncentral.com/

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank You Kevin and Dao,

One theses days I just may do that. Thanks.

Guess I will have to find time to process a few more I have that are better.

Go out when the wind doesn't blow them around :>)))

I found it interesting how free floating they are. Never realized that. Guess this is the first time I have seen them not growing in controlled conditions.

12. Hi Gale.
    I agree : nice composition and excellent colours. Paint daubs or watercolor actions will reveal its elegance.

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Christian,

thank you very much. I will try that.

I really love water lilies. Hate to throw one away. I do like paintings also.

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    PS:

Amyone want to try some painting with this image..

would love to see what is posible and what I could do.

Thank you all..

All of your help and critiques graciously accepted. :>)))))))

15. Gale, the 80-400mm gets very "dreammy" sometimes at the far end, but this worked great for your composition here.
    I can only imagine Lambros jumping for the bee... :-D that would be an interesting splash... ;-)

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yeah Panos,
    He would get the Bee and the Flower all in one mouth full.. That would be funny..

Don't wan't him to go in that body of water though... Some things in there Called Alligators bigger than he is.

Thank you for you comments, appreciated.

VR does alot for my shaky hands but when it is windy also, which I didn't take into account. I was to focused on getting that bee right where he was in flight, right on top of the lily, I forgot all about the wind to.

Not to mention, yes at the longest end, right at 400. I think it likes 380 best.

Besides I was creeping in grass just a little longer than I like not knowing what might be lurking there for me and squatting down. OHHHH ouch, I was kinda skittish :>))))

Not only was the wind blowing the flower back and forth, but up and down. DOH..

I will remember next time.

17. Gale, my favorite length of the 80-400mm VR (VR VR) is the 360mm and I also use High Sharpness on the D100, too. ;-)

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Panos,
    If I use high on my D100 I get halos from he$$

I think it is time for this to go to nikon for a good cleaning and readjuting. Several of my seting that folks usually use and not optimal for mine.

I just ordered a Kinko Pro 300 1.4 for it like ED Mack uses.. His is looking great.

Maybe the 400 should go for some looking at as well.. Hummmmmmmmm

19. Well Gale, check these two shots out... right out of the box, just resized...

80-400mm VR @ 360mm f/5.6
    original.

80-400mm VR @ 400mm f/5.6
    View attachment 12576

20. Hey Gale, hope you don't mind but I did a quick & dirty version of what I had mentioned earlier.

[​IMG]

This should give you an idea of what I was thinking. Of course spending a little more time than I did could accomplish a better end result.

Cheers!