Water Polo and Soccer Help

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by jantheman13, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Hi all,

This is my first posting of photos so if I screw up I'm sorry:Teeth:
    I've been shooting soccer and water polo for 2 seasons now just trying to hone my skills. These are from film:eek:but costco puts them on disk for me. So I think they come back very contrasty and can't really seem to fix that. Anyway here are a few I would love feed back on. All were shot with F100 on S Priority with 300 f/4(my favorite lens).

Thanks in advance, Jan
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2887684807
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2888520800

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2008
  2. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    I see nothing I hear nothing to Quote Sargent Schultz

3. I can't seem to upload any photos as it is disabled. Any help would be great.

4. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    You need to host them some where Photobuck, smugmug, photoshelter, Flickr
    Then you can link them here buy clicking photo icon in tool bar and pasting your link

And if you have them hosted some where make sure photo sharing is enabled

5. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    you need an external hosting site like pbase or smugmug or picassa. Then take the url and place between tags or click on the postage stamp looking icon and enter URL

6. Thanks. I enabled everyone to see my flicker account but still won't upload. So I put the 2 urls there. Any thoughts?

7. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Soccer shot were is the ball? the face is a little blown out highlight wise
    Get low shooting younger players shoot up at them
    Water polo better exposure control but where is the ball?
    Crop tight is the mantra here but get the ball , even if your shooting sportrait you want some connection to the sport for context--unless your shooting Tiger Woods, he is the context

What camera lens combo are you using???
    Upon closer inspection Soccer shot has motion blur in the hand-- it was a very sunny day what SS were you using stay above 1000 if possible with your setup
    The picture is very soft meaning not focused well at all - could be a slow shutter speed
    Just some thoughts

8. Using Nikon F100 with 300 f/4. Most were shot around 800 to 1000 SS.

9. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    I know you said these were shot with a film camera What ISO was the film??? These 2 have considerable noise
    I like the perspectives better but get lower you will get much better faces with less shadows shooting up
    Do you own digital gear- film i s good but can get expensive trying to hone ones skills a used D50 and a 70-300 4-5.6 could be had rather cheaply

10. I use 200 or 400 depending on what I can Find. Film is rare! I am considering either a D300 or D2hs or D2x. Just have to convince my wife:wink: The only digital I own is a Canon G5 which doesn't work so well for moving objects. I'm good on glass for now with the below lenses. The 300 afd f/4 is great IMHO. Thanks you for the tips. I will try sitting and see if that works. The grainy look only appears in the CD I get from costco. The prints look much sharper and much less contrasty. Any ideas on how to fix that? Thanks Mark for looking.

Jan

11. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Jan, I have never tried to PP a scanned photo but if you have a Noise ware product try some noise reduction - or Scan the prints yourself if you have a decent scanner at home perhaps you will get a more usable picture than the on from Costco CD

12. Thanks Mark. I just need a DSLR and all will be good. Any opinion on D300 vs older D2hs or D2x? I love the big body of the D2 but understand D300 better at some things. Any insight would be great.

13. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    I have a D300 and no regrets get the battery grip if you like the bigger body feel. For the money the D300 is a great great camera
    I also use my D2H and D50 alot still great cameras-I think I have over 250,000 clicks on the d50