water shot

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Doug, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    A. Do you like?

B. Do you like A better?

C. Do you like B better?

D. does this post have to many letters or to many questions?

Apologies for sensor blob, I will fix eventually once I pick a direction.

A.

[​IMG]

B.

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
  3. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    thanks for the well thought out reply Gale.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I don't like smooth water
    I like to see and hear the water as it is
    Quite obvious

5. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    There's nothing wrong with that. Real time speed is excellent. I happen to like both, at various times, but that doesn't make your likes wrong, just different.

6. On this shot A, if there was a wider more of a landscape I think the smooth water works well

7. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    I prefer A, but I think I'd like better if it were a little warmer. [I'm still feeling deprived of sunshine after the winter:biggrin: .]

8. mikeyd86

mikeyd86 Guest

A, I would say. Because of the darkness of everything that is stationary, the second looks almost out of focus, just because there's nothing sharp to contrast the flowing water. The water also looks faster in the first one, and because this looks more like a "wild" stream than a smooth flowing one, I think it works better.

9. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Well, the shot was not really my best effort, I believe I was just playing, testing a handheld 300 shot and there was some motion it seems, I guess I didn't have enough light for my settings. But I really should have tri-podded it I believe now.

the actual shot was B. A is using a Gaussien blur adjustment under smart sharpen in PS, fairly heavy adjustment and it does I think, give the shot more merit.

I was really playing while someone cleared out of my way to take the main shot. But anyway, I thought it had merit if sharpened a bit. I like interesting takes on water, and the triangular split image interested me. Though it would interest me a bit more with something more visually stimulating on the top half.

10. Doug, because the shot is so close to the water, I prefer A. If you were standing back and shooting the whole falls, I'd say B. Am I to assume, due to the motion-blur on the background leaves, that these were shot handheld?

11. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    will let you know once I get back from the bathroom
    darn water pictures
    a for sure

12. A. (I like water shots)
    B. (I Like A better.)

13. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    LOL Lowwolf.

Sandi, the key is in my post above yours. It was hand held, and strangely, it does look like motion, yet the water looks straight, this is a little confusing, but none the less, the shot was playing anyway.

Sam, I C. thanks.

14. I also like A better. It shows more of the dynamics of water.

Cheers

15. That was my thought as well. For this tight crop, I prefer A. I am amazed that B was the original.