Water Sports Attempt #2

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Bluth_Fan, Jul 17, 2008.

1. So my first day trying to get some good shots of kneeboard/wakeboarding went...eh so so. I was able to improve a little on my second day. Here's some pics of my husband and friends on the lake. I'm just a begginer, so any and all suggestions/comments/critiques are greatly appreciated! :)

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2008
  2. These shots are pretty good! It can't be easy getting sharp, focused photos from a moving boat.

3. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    These look good. I would try cropping a bit tighter though if possible. I can't see the exif information on your shots so I don't know what settings you were using or what Focal Length you were at. I would suggest the fastest shutter speed possible to eliminate camera movement from the moving boat, and then also have the boat go the slowest speed possible while still have the skiers able to stay up.

Also, finding a smooth part of the water (where there's less traffic and less waves) will help as well.

Here's a shot from the only time I have ever taken pictures from the boat of watersports. My father hamming it up on the tube.

[​IMG]

4. Thanks! I'll definitely try that next time. The shot of your dad is awesome!

5. I shoot a lot of waterskiing. These shots are a good start, but you need to crop them tighter and you need to get your shutterspeed higher to eliminate the blur caused by all the motion of the boat and the boarders.

These shots need a bump in contrast, levels adjustment and sharpening. Watch your horizon and straighten the photos.

307359067_6j5BN-L.jpg

307360223_bBr4M-L.jpg

163012487_nFETt-L.jpg

6. Thanks! I appreciate the suggestions. I'm excited to get back out there to try it again. I'll have to mess with those pictures in photoshop and see if I can improve the contrast, sharpness, and horizon.

7. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Bluth...for your shots just spend some time in post and mess around. I spent 2 minutes with 2 of your shots and here is the finished result. If I had the full size files they'd probably look better and I could actually crop it closer...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. nice shooting
    great advice has been given above

please remember that TAKING the pictures is only HALF THE BATTLE in preparing them for presentation or printing
    100% of digital SLR images need post-processing..... 100%

here's your last one tweaked a bit:
    333679335_Var9T-O.jpg