1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured Water Strider on the pond

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by cybertec69, May 16, 2018.

1. Shot with D500 and Nikon 200-500mm.

42073531352_b454f74d4f_o.
    NIKON D500    200-500mm f/5.6    500mm    f/7.1    1/1250s    ISO 1000

2. It's not a mosquito; it's one of the true bugs (Order Hemiptera), more specifically something in the Family Gerridae, the Water striders (if I'm not mistaken :) ).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Not a bug person, it looks like a big mosquito to me, but I guess it is what you say it is:D 

4. If you compare pictures of striders and mosquitos you'll see that they look nothing alike. Size alone eliminates mosquitos.

5. Whatever makes you happy. I agreed with you, what do you want, blood.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Very nice, never been able to shoot them from that angle. It’s a water strider.

7. Thanks Rick. I already fixed the title.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  8. Nice shot, i have had little luck with them, the long lens gave you a nice perspective.

9. Thanks Tom, yes the long lens helped on the perspective.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.