1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Waterdrop art

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by jirel, Dec 7, 2018.

1. I haven't done much photography lately and haven't shot any waterdrops for a long time but here's a few from today. Easier to play around indoors in the warmth than outside in the cold for this old guy.

_JIS6604.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_JIS6607.jpg

_JIS6615.jpg

_JIS6629.jpg

Have a good day.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Cool, or as the kids say , kewl or is kwel or???? How about a description of how you did it?

3. Thanks.

Basically, these were taken with my D500 on a tripod with a Tamron 90mm lens in a dimly lit room. I mainly use a SS of 1/2 sec, f 20-32, low ISO. For these, I used two flashes, one bounced off some multi colored fabric, one with a blue gel aimed at target area. I used a drip pan painted flat black as the water reservoir. I manually prefocus on target area. The water drops wander slightly but this gives a good estimate of drop zone. The flash aimed at the target area is set at a reduced duration to freeze the motion. I use a "Time Machine"/drip kit to help with easily varying timing of flashes and other variables to see different effects. I also added some liquid soap to water and some acrylic paint to droplet reservoir. These additions vary the viscosity/elasticity of the liquid and can change the effects of the liquid sculptures. I just play around with the variables looking for something a little unique.

Hope this gives you some idea. I have a power point presentation that I gave once to a photo club on how I do it but not sure if I could load it on here.

4. 2 things hit me: darkened room and flat black pan! Thanks.

5. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    impressive

6. Thank you both.

7. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

How fabulous are these!! I would love to do this one day!

8. These are as good as anything I've seen of this type. I really like all of them and, like Lyndee, would like to give it a try. Without your explanation I think I would have been trying much faster shutter speeds.

9. Thank you. When I started I just used a sandwich baggie filled with water and stuck a pin hole in it for the drip. A little more intricate now but still fun playing around.

Thank you very much. Try it, it's fun to see what you can come up with. However, be prepared to take a number of shots to get those few you want.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.