Waterlilies and Lotus at the NY Botanical Garden

gvk

My wife, Cynthia, and I spent an enjoyable Sunday morning wandering around the Waterlilies and Lotus Exhibition at the NY Botanical Garden. Of course I brought my camera and a couple of lenses. I have never had much success with insect macros, but what can you do when a dragonfly just sits down while you are setting up a composition?

31309979-O-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The weather was perfect for photography, varying from hazy sun to cloudy bright (not so good, however, for walking around carrying a heavy camera bag in the heat and humidity!).

31309969-O-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

There are a few more if you are interested at http://gvk.smugmug.com

Gerry,

First, welcome to the Cafe. These are gorgeous. Good composition, well exposed, and sharp as a tack.

Well done!!

Welcome

Welcome to the Cafe and hope you enjoy it here.. really love your shots..
See you are from westchester county NY.. i drive truck into that area every day....keep posting and again welcome and enjoy..

Tim
D70
kit lens
Sigma's 70-200 and 105 macro..

Gerry,

Very nice pictures. Did you happen to see a little heron in the middle of the ponds? He/she seems to have taken residence at the ponds in the morning hours, hunting for goldfish. I managed to get a few good shots the last time. It's great to be able to get within 10 feet, and shoot for 20 minutes. Doesn't even faze the guy.

Anyways, great lilys and welcome to the Cafe!

Regards,
Eugene

Hi Gerry,

Welcome to the Cafe. Your water lilies are lovely. I especially like the second one. What type of camera and lens did you use to capture these images?

gvk

Thanks for all the compliments. Although I joined the Cafe a couple of months ago, these are the first photos I have posted. I need to devote some time to sorting through and uploading more shots.

We didn't see a heron there on Sunday morning, but there was a friendly mallard in one of the ponds.

These were taken with a D2X; a 70-200 VR was used for the lotus with dragonfly, and a 60 Micro for the waterlilies.

gvk said:
Thanks for all the compliments. Although I joined the Cafe a couple of months ago, these are the first photos I have posted. I need to devote some time to sorting through and uploading more shots.

We didn't see a heron there on Sunday morning, but there was a friendly mallard in one of the ponds.

These were taken with a D2X; a 70-200 VR was used for the lotus with dragonfly, and a 60 Micro for the waterlilies.

Well Gerry, all I can say is that we have been missing some really good shots. You definitely have a good eye, and excellent technique. Please don't go another couple of months before posting more. 8)

Latest threads

Top Bottom