Watermark Help Please

NX2 is the only PP software that I currently use and if it's possible to make watermarks with it I sure can't figure out how. Am I correct in assuming that since NX2 lacks layers it doesn't do watermarks? And if that is the case, what are my best (cheapest and simplest) options for accomplishing this? This seems like one more way to rationalize getting Photoshop and I'd like to have it but it definitely isn't happening soon so what other means can I use? Thanks for the help.

Neither NX1 nor NX2 can do watermarks (text on an image). A couple of inexpensive options would be Paint Shop Pro or PS Elements. I am sure the are free programs that can put text on a JPG image too.

If one wishes to sign or write a copyright on the image it is possible if one has a tablet. Just enlarge the image, move to where you wish the writing to appear and sign or write what you want. Then go to the Pen tool, write what you want to appear and then use LCH to adjust the color of the print to black or white or in between. I suppose one could also make it a variation of the color of the background.

I hope your handwriting on a tablet is easier read than mine.
:smile:

You can use the free program Irfanview to add text to an image. It is very fast and a small download. Having said that, I just bought the latest version of PSP for $29.95 on a black friday sale from Corel and it will do watermarks, along with a lot more. I probably will use it more than Irfanview as I get better with it.

Try Paint.net, it does it. I just downloaded it the other day, checking it out, as it is free PP software, before recommending it to a friend. Very nice, considering it is free. The curves works very well. I just tried the text, it was quick and easy.

This somehing I need to learn, I have never used watermarks, but need to start.

I must admit that Larry has come up with one that I had not seen before :eek::eek:

I happen to use "non-NX" options as well, but the one issue with these is that you are not doing the watermark on your NEF, but on your output. So if you have multiple output versions that you want watermarked, they have to be done separately.

I use Ditto, created by Rory Hill, you can find it with a search here. It is a nice little freebie that works with PS/Bridge.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, it looks like I have multiple choices. My wife uses PSP but I've never had occasion to get into it so I had no idea I could use it for watermarks. I'll have to check into it and I'll take a cursory look at some of the others too. It would be a big plus to use one that can batch process. Again, I really appreciate the help.

It does work, one is able to annotate or copyright images by using the brush in NX2 and then colorizing it. Can be done with a tablet or even just a mouse.

:smile:

I must admit that Larry has come up with one that I had not seen before :eek::eek:

I happen to use "non-NX" options as well, but the one issue with these is that you are not doing the watermark on your NEF, but on your output. So if you have multiple output versions that you want watermarked, they have to be done separately.

I use Ditto, created by Rory Hill, you can find it with a search here. It is a nice little freebie that works with PS/Bridge.

NX may not do layers in the sense a traditional photo editor does, but it does do adjustments, so was just thinking the same, that maybe you could use the colourise tool and blend options, then save just that step as a setting. Could then apply that setting on batch.

Hmm, may have to give that a try as that would be great to go with my setting to do resize and sRGB conversion for uploading to the web.

Photo Mechanic, in addition to being wonderful at most everything else it does, allows you to superimpose a watermark when using the "save as" feature. My workflow includes rating and sorting in Photo Mechanic (after importing via Transfer), then editing in NX2 (one click in Photo Mechanic), Saving the "finished" master as a TIFF using NX2, then batch processing TIFFs into sized JPEGs for exporting or emailing files, using Photo Mechanic. It is at this latter stage that I add the watermark if the end point is public viewing.

Since I had PSP in my backpocket I decided to look into the other suggestions and it was an interesting experience. I have tried to 'write' on photos with a mouse since I don't have a tablet and it looks suspiciously like my second grad penmanship papers. On a bad day. So that's out. I also managed to add text to photos with both Irfanview and Paint.net but couldn't find easy ways to reproduce it. It would've been ok if I was only working on one file but both programs made me feel like i was wandering the back aisles looking for ways to modify their actions. Virtually no help on Irfanview and Paint.net's help system was in the form of q and a on forums, which ran in circles and circles. Plus, their power seemed to be in plugins, which I had trouble downloading. I did get my first exposure to layers and if I needed a free photo editing program I would think about spending more time with it.

I hit the jackpot with the Faststone Resizer though. Hero of the day suggestion by Tim. Many thanks. Inserting text and watermarks and batch processing are intentions there and they have tabs to prove it. Here's the story. They have image capture and view programs to download separately but I didnt need them so I just downloaded the resizer program, which also has text insertion, watermarking, and basic editing functions. Small and quick. I am very happy with the rename and digital embedding functions of NX2 and see no reason to change. And since I'm not interested in a logo what I'm looking for here is a method for inserting visible text on the image. So I used the text tab instead of the watermark tab. It was simply a matter of typing the desired text and a little time fine tuning font type and size. The batch processing is just as easy. Two big windows, great for old eyes, are used. Left side is your file and folder directory; highlight single or multiple images or whole files and add them to the right window, which is for staging. Specify a different folder for output (I created two new folders, watermark inbox and watermark outbox) and it creates a copy so you never have to worry about permanently marking the original. Hit go, wait about a nanosecond, and they're done. I love the speed and simplicity and the design just makes sense. Now that I have my menu saved it's less than a couple minutes from the time I open the program till I'm closing it up with newly watermarked files. This is staying in my workflow for sure.

Latest threads

Top Bottom