Watermark on portrait orientation photos is too small - advice sought

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to batch process some photos in order to apply a watermark. I created an action in CS3 and the watermark comes out as desired when the photos are in landscape mode. If the photo is in portrait layout, the watermark is VERY tiny. How can I ensure that my watermark will be applied correctly to all of my photos? Is there a modification I have to make when creating the action?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take care,
Brent

That would require seperating the shots by orientation. Kind of a pain. Unless you can specify in the action what orientation it applies to, then two actions would be fine.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the quick response. I'd rather not have to create two separate actions or divide my photos into two categories before doing a batch. Is there a way to specify within an action the orientation it applies to? I figured the watermark would be applied in the same proportions to both orientations ...

Thanks for your input.

Brent

Sorry Brent, I don't know. I have run into this as well. Now I just use the watermarking available with my smugmug account.

For NAPP members, there is a good tutorial

If you are a NAPP member, there is a great video tutorial by Matt Kloskowski on creating a watermark that remains centered and resizes automatically when the image is resized. Here is the link but realize that if you are not a NAPP member you will get stuck at a login screen and will not be able to access the video. http://www.photoshopuser.com/members/?page=view&id=watermark

This is pretty common request/need seen on this forum and others so if someone has other tutorial links, please post them. If I can find some free time this week I'll try to summarize the steps in Matt's tutorial and post them here.

If you are a NAPP member, there is a great video tutorial by Matt Kloskowski on creating a watermark that remains centered and resizes automatically when the image is resized. Here is the link but realize that if you are not a NAPP member you will get stuck at a login screen and will not be able to access the video. http://www.photoshopuser.com/members/?page=view&id=watermark

This is pretty common request/need seen on this forum and others so if someone has other tutorial links, please post them. If I can find some free time this week I'll try to summarize the steps in Matt's tutorial and post them here.

Thanks for the link. I currently have two actions and the added step in my process of moving the landscape and portrait pictures in to two different folders.

The 'secret' to Matt's method (which I use) is to use the PS Place command.

New Image - make it larger than the images you think you'll watermark.
Create your text on a new layer
Delete the BG layer
Open Layer Style
Reduce Fill Opacity to near zero
Add a Beval & Emboss
Save the file as a .PSD

From here you record an action that uses the Place command and PS does all the sizing and centering for you.

Vandover-Nov07_167_B.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for the link. I currently have two actions and the added step in my process of moving the landscape and portrait pictures in to two different folders.

You can select by orientation in Bridge before running the action.

You can select by orientation in Bridge before running the action.

My God you're right!
While there isn't an orientation sort there is dimension which I had never tried. Sure enough it it sorts out the verts!!!

I'd been doing it manually which wasn't that much trouble but this is wonderful.

Don

In the Filter panel, there is a section called 'Orientation' - choose between landscape or portrait. I am using CS3 Bridge if that makes any difference.

What would I use Bridge for?

I have it installed, but have never launched it

Can someone give me a brief explanation of what this app does?

Thanks in advance

As part of your action try resizing the watermark.
Image > Image Size > instead of pixels choose percent.

But the cool thing about using the Place command is that Adobe does all the sizing work for you automatically.

Don

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom