Watermarks

Real Name
Randy
1. Use them or not ?
2. Center them or not ?
3. What opacity works for you ?

at 1st I was not going to use them on my new website since I rarely sell non sports pics anyway. But then I tested Firefox on my new site and I can easily download a 1000x800 version of an image and I hate that.
So now I am playing with WMs. At small opacities like 5% the WM is not too distracting. I can't see a reason to not put them in the center.

Thoughts ?

I guess you can do this in any browser but I hate that FF makes it so dam easy

this pic was downloaded from ZF via Firefoxes backdoor:

1212719688_6oZmN-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hi Randy. I think you should increase the opacity a little and centered is a good idea. It isn't distracting in this picture, but if someone wanted to steal it I don't think it would take a lot for them to get rid of the watermark. It's a shame that we have to watch for things like this. I have a new MBP and with it and safari, it's as simple as drag and drop from safari to my computer. Pretty scary.

Real Name
Randy
Hi Randy. I think you should increase the opacity a little and centered is a good idea. It isn't distracting in this picture, but if someone wanted to steal it I don't think it would take a lot for them to get rid of the watermark. It's a shame that we have to watch for things like this. I have a new MBP and with it and safari, it's as simple as drag and drop from safari to my computer. Pretty scary.

thx for the feedback John

I was thinking it was too much opacity already:smile:

if someone wants to clone off the WM I'll just have to live with that I guess

so Safari made it even easier, that makes me mad.....i am surprised some clever web developer hasn't found a way to stop this

here's another w/ a diff WM

1212726065_zVbHP-O.jpg

I think it works (the watermark that is). Unfortunately, even if a web developer found a way to stop it, I think another would find a way around it.
BTW, I think your bird shots are exceptional! I also alway look forward to seeing your sports shots. Always first class material!

Real Name
Randy
I think it works (the watermark that is). Unfortunately, even if a web developer found a way to stop it, I think another would find a way around it.
BTW, I think your bird shots are exceptional! I also alway look forward to seeing your sports shots. Always first class material!

thx John

good point

which one of those do you like better ?

I like the first one better, as well as the watermark through the image I would put a little web site address on the corner as well so when (not if!) linked / copied etc onto other sites people will easily be able to find the original source

watermarks and urls can be cloned out but often it is casual hotlinking and copying I think happens most often, in those cases people are just looking for a quick image to use and don't bother to clone stuff out

Real Name
Randy
I like the first one better, as well as the watermark through the image I would put a little web site address on the corner as well so when (not if!) linked / copied etc onto other sites people will easily be able to find the original source

watermarks and urls can be cloned out but often it is casual hotlinking and copying I think happens most often, in those cases people are just looking for a quick image to use and don't bother to clone stuff out

thx and good idea on the url

our images are hotlinked all around the world, which is easy enough to stop but I think of it as 'free' advertising, so long as we can pay the bandwidth bills (currently our blog images on their own do ~45 gig transfer / month)

Real Name
Randy
our images are hotlinked all around the world, which is easy enough to stop but I think of it as 'free' advertising, so long as we can pay the bandwidth bills (currently our blog images on their own do ~45 gig transfer / month)

on my sports site i never cared if someone stole an image because i got free advertizing so i know what you mean

as far as bandwith ZF & SM provide unlimited

Content wise, I like your first one better. Visibility wise I would say the second. You lose the first one as it goes across the bird making it unreadable.

Real Name
Randy
What about both? Use the centered copyright symbol plus a url in one corner of the image. That way there is an "in your face" logo in the middle of the image and a "here's where the image came from" link at the border where it is legible.

thx

i am going to do something similiar

i'll continue to use the current one with my company name but make it taller by moving my last name to a new line and then add the url to the bottom left

Real Name
Randy
here's what I'm going to go with....i might back off the opacity a little (this is 10%)
(this is exactly how it looks when snatched from firefox)

thoughts ?

1212904853_5p9Zv-O.jpg

I think it's a winner. I think you would want it to show on the subject some, just to make it harder to clone out if stolen. It's more of a deterrent than a solution. If your pics are harder to steal, they'll move on to some that are easier. JMHO

I like it! The wordings on top of the subject isn't very obvious and just a slight hint that it's there, enough to discourage unauthorized use. Good job!

here's what I'm going to go with....i might back off the opacity a little (this is 10%)
(this is exactly how it looks when snatched from firefox)

thoughts ?

I think it's a good idea to put a © mark on it somewhere too, just to make obvious to the thickies, and to the sly ones, that the picture is in fact copyrighted. At least it may make them think twice, before stealing it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom