Waterproof P&S Camera

Hey guy's I am thinking about getting a waterproof P&S Camera for a up coming trip this summer to Ukraine. Do you have any recommendations or experiences? I am thinking of this to supplement my dslr during inclement weather and for the times when I won't be able to carry my dslr and to shoot some small videos. I have been looking into the panasonic lumix ts2/ft2 and the sony tx5. I am all ears to any of your suggestions. Thanks.

Hi Jarema,

I wrote up a report on my Olympus 770SW just 4 years ago here at the Cafe. I still have the camera and it still works fine.

I later was in a camera store and the salesman said that when the Olympus rep first demoed the camera for the store employees, he held it at arms length and dropped it on the concrete floor. Then picked it up and took a photo. Repeated 5 or 6 times and then showed them the photos. I've had it down to 6 or 8 feet underwater, I'm not good for much deeper, but the camera seems to be:wink:

I suspect today's version is probably even better and maybe lower cost.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife travels extensively and uses an Olympus Stylus Tough-8010. In over a year, and perhaps 10,000 images, it hasn't had a single problem.

Ignore the fact I have just come from a Pentax dslr, but the Pentax W series seems to get good write-ups. Currently W90 I think.

Wow I will look into the olympus tough cameras. I have read some reviews and they said that images we just ok, have any of you had this experience? I do not expect the quality to be that of a dslr but do expect a nice image. How is the video mode? Thanks again!

Hmmm. That TX5 could be the ticket.
However...I ordered the Lumix TS3 a couple of days ago. I didn't buy it for diving but rather for carrying on the kayak and boat while fishing. I really just wanted something for the "hero shots" before releasing the fish.
Although I really didn't need bells and whistles, I hope the video is good enough to compliment my GoPro hero.

Hmmm. That TX5 could be the ticket.
However...I ordered the Lumix TS3 a couple of days ago. I didn't buy it for diving but rather for carrying on the kayak and boat while fishing. I really just wanted something for the "hero shots" before releasing the fish.
Although I really didn't need bells and whistles, I hope the video is good enough to compliment my GoPro hero.

I actually think I am leaning toward the lumix. In addition to the trip I do plan on using it just as you do, kayaking and fishing primarily on the beach surf casting so it will get hit with saltwater. So many choices!

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
I have the TS2 and it's very good. The TS3 should be even better.

Ok. As promised...here ya go.
I don't have anything technical or extravagant to offer at this time but here are a few shots taken today after work.
All shot in iA mode & auto WB.
Also, I included a video sample to get an idea of the quality.
It was very windy today so I'm pretty sure that's what you're hearing in the background.
Hope to get some better samples this weekend.

P1000030.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 868897

View attachment 868898

Here's the video link...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sFO5VYGqos

Video Properties...
View attachment 868899

As usual, YouTube somewhat degraded the video quality but I don't think it's too bad for a P&S.
Overall, I'm very happy with the camera.

Ok. As promised...here ya go.
I don't have anything technical or extravagant to offer at this time but here are a few shots taken today after work.
All shot in iA mode & auto WB.
Also, I included a video sample to get an idea of the quality.
It was very windy today so I'm pretty sure that's what you're hearing in the background.
Hope to get some better samples this weekend.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Nicks6/TS3 Samples/P1000030.jpg?t=1301015525

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Nicks6/TS3 Samples/P1000036.jpg?t=1301015570

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Nicks6/TS3 Samples/P1000032.jpg?t=1301015611

Here's the video link...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sFO5VYGqos

Video Properties...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Nicks6/TS3 Samples/TS3VideoProperties1.jpg?t=1301015733

As usual, YouTube somewhat degraded the video quality but I don't think it's too bad for a P&S.
Overall, I'm very happy with the camera.

Wow thank you very much! The photos and video look nice. How easy are the functions and controls? Hopefully I can find one on sale!!

Just used a TS3 extensively on vacation. It was fun having a camera to take pictures while floating in the ocean. Of course you get a lot of the same foreground...

The weaknesses of the camera are the long end which is just plain soft, and that lens flares like crazy with sun just outside of the frame. Photos can be very washed out. Obviously it's limited in dynamic range compared to an SLR or even the Panasonic LX-3.

Good news is that photos were great at the wide end where it matters most in my opinion. As long as you avoid flare situations the contrast and pop rendered by their JPEG engine is pleasing. The white balance is iffy at times outside using iA mode. My wife looked a bit sepia more than once, but at least it made her tan look nice ;)

One reminder with these cameras is to wipe any water and salt off the lens covering after you emerge. We have a few series of photos with blurry spots like in "The Ring". The camera is robust and if you use the silicone cover, I'm sure it can handle a few short drops without a hitch.

I've got to jump back into this thread again....:redface:
Thinking about how much time I spend at water parks with the kids, I took the plunge and ordered a refurbished Olympus Stylus Tough 6020...:smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom