Waterproof P&S

Real Name
Mike
Need a recommendation for a waterproof P&S.

I've used my DSLR in my kayak a couple of times. But....on a river trip that is strictly for fun, I don't want to have to worry about keeping it dry or deal with the bulk. I've had experience with the Olympus Tough series and wasn't impressed with the image quality. What is everyone using? Sample pics appreciated! :smile:

olympus TG 810. love it so much I am getting a second one.
will upload pix tomorrow.

I've been happy with my Olympus tg2 and I have been using it for fishing trips on my kayak. It is good for well lit scenes, suffers a bit in high contrast. I'll take the trade off of iq for shock resistance and waterproof.

I've been happy with my Olympus tg2 and I have been using it for fishing trips on my kayak. It is good for well lit scenes, suffers a bit in high contrast. I'll take the trade off of iq for shock resistance and waterproof.

+1 for the Olympus TG2

I have had 2 TS3 the first one bit the dust very quickly in the ocean so I thought I got a lemon but my second one did just as bad in the ocean it lasted one vacation with the family.

I use a Nikon AW-100. It's actually pretty good at the wide end, but performance degrades significantly at the tele end. I had a Panasonic TS2 previously that had gasket failure in under a year. So far the Nikon has been okay. The most important thing with any water camera, if used in saltwater, is to submerge it for 30 minutes after each use in fresh water, towel dry, then carefully dry off any water that accumulated just outside the gaskets in the creases of the camera. In fairness, my TS2 probably failed because I got lazy about this process.

Real Name
Mike

I use a Nikon AW-100. It's actually pretty good at the wide end, but performance degrades significantly at the tele end. I had a Panasonic TS2 previously that had gasket failure in under a year. So far the Nikon has been okay. The most important thing with any water camera, if used in saltwater, is to submerge it for 30 minutes after each use in fresh water, towel dry, then carefully dry off any water that accumulated just outside the gaskets in the creases of the camera. In fairness, my TS2 probably failed because I got lazy about this process.
Thanks for the recommendations. Keep 'em coming. The hardest part about comparing these cameras is the lack of reviews with comparable images. I've used the Olympus TG-820 and was very disappointed in it's image quality. The review of the TG-2 also knocks the image quality. My main concern of course is image quality. This camera will never be used under water. I just want something I can put in my pocket when space is limited but I still want a camera with me. I want it waterproof in case it gets laid in the bottom of the boat in a puddle or something like that.

I'm leaning toward the new Nikon COOLPIX AW110. I've found a really good deal on it locally. Anyone using it yet? Or found a good review on line?

I use mine mostly for underwater shots. TG-810 as previously stated.
Love it. Quality is a compromise but my D7000 would never survive the underwater treatment.

I use a Pentax WR90. Can be had for cheap {<10$} and 36 exposures in a boat covers everything you can do.

Real Name
Mike
I picked up an AW110 last night. Will give a test today. Initial impressions? I don't like that you have to take the battery out to charge it. I suppose that's a good feature if you have a second battery and plan to use it a lot. Needs a protector on the 3" LED screen. Will have to pick that up. Also it does not come with a wrist strap, just a neck strap. Personal preference, I suppose.

I do like the GPS and Wi-Fi features. Will play around with those to see how useful they are. Initial image impressions? Just did a couple of indoor snapshots before I charged the battery. Not bad. High ISO (800+) has more noise than I'd like to see but I expected that. Will give it a run outside today. This thing will focus down to 1cm in macro mode. That should be interesting!

I have this ridiculous looking foam wrist strap that floats. When we're out as a family, we often just toss the camera back and forth in whatever body of water we happen to be in to get shots of each other. A screen protector is probably a good idea as well!

I picked up an AW110 last night. Will give a test today. Initial impressions? I don't like that you have to take the battery out to charge it. I suppose that's a good feature if you have a second battery and plan to use it a lot. Needs a protector on the 3" LED screen. Will have to pick that up. Also it does not come with a wrist strap, just a neck strap. Personal preference, I suppose.

I do like the GPS and Wi-Fi features. Will play around with those to see how useful they are. Initial image impressions? Just did a couple of indoor snapshots before I charged the battery. Not bad. High ISO (800+) has more noise than I'd like to see but I expected that. Will give it a run outside today. This thing will focus down to 1cm in macro mode. That should be interesting!

You may be able to charge through your computer and a USB port. My TG2 can charge that way.

Real Name
Mike
I have this ridiculous looking foam wrist strap that floats. When we're out as a family, we often just toss the camera back and forth in whatever body of water we happen to be in to get shots of each other. A screen protector is probably a good idea as well!
I saw those on Amazon. Might not be a bad idea to keep it afloat, if needed. I just ordered the simple loop wrist strap and screen protectors.

You may be able to charge through your computer and a USB port. My TG2 can charge that way.
Yeah, it might. I skimmed through the manual last night but don't recall seeing that. Now that it's fully charged, I'll sit down and get everything figured out.

Latest threads

Top Bottom